Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2017 & Update 3?

72 REPLIES 72
SOLVED
Message 1 of 73
arcon76
11789 Views, 72 Replies

Maya 2017 & Update 3?

2017 has a completely screwed Channel Box and Attribute Editor, among other window issues. They keep merging into each other sideways and vertically... sometimes unable to be resized etc. Its not practical to delete my preferences every few days. Autodesk needs to fix this and release either a GUI hotfix or Update 3 before February.

Also it might be an idea to START TESTING YOUR SOFTWARE. These are not user dependent issues with hardware etc - literally everyone you ask has noticed the mass of windows appearing & disappearing on startup and more funkiness as you work with the gui. It seems like Autodesk not only don't employ testers, but don't get the junior coders to open the software even once before releasing an update... which is pretty terrifying.

You can't release such a flawed UX now that you've forced people onto subscription model (the whole concept of which is to promote the latest releases). There will be a huge customer backlash if this keeps up.

72 REPLIES 72
Message 61 of 73
gigayo
in reply to: gerador20

Nope, i got it perfectly right. You basically said that maya is working perfect for you, and thats a complete lie, because first, its impossible, and second, unless you have another completely different version of maya, from another company :s, there is no way that maya will work perfectly for a single user and it wont for the rest millions of users lol. I hope you get my irony here. Either you didnt use maya more than 5 minutes, or you actually dont have a clue how to use it, or you are just fooling around. Pick your choice. Update 3 fixed some things, but it messed up even more others. If you didnt notice it, well as i said, probably you need to use maya more than 5 minutes. Anyways, if it is working perfectly for you, congratulations, the rest of us we live in the real world.

Message 62 of 73
gerador20
in reply to: gigayo

my maya ver is maya 2017 update 3 and when i mean its working fine means i have yet came across a crash or error so i really dont know why are you getting all pissed off i was simply just trying to give a suggestion of you should try a fresh install. its what ever dude im not going to sit here and argue over something completly stupid 

Message 63 of 73
rimcrazy

Come on now... no need to go postal on someone simply because they don't see the same results as you.  Unless one had identical setups and depending upon the nature of the bug and or bugs it's hard to tell.  My more sophisticated setup is my Win10 workstation simply because I not only have all of my 3D software installed but lots of other development software IDE's installed.  Not that those necessarily break things but more drivres, more software, more chances of one thing messing up something else.  On a very cursory basis, at the moment, my Win10 install of 2017 ext3 seems to have less issues than my OSX.  Neither is crashing out but OSX still suffers from random dialog boxes and random docking of the Outliner.  I've not done ANY UV work on either so I can't speak to those issues.  Going to do some or maybe I should say attempt to do some later this week so I will see.  Overall, like others, I'm not impressed.  The level of bugs and just plain instability of the whole thing is maddening... especially given that this is thousands of dollars of software.  Sorry but this should be far better than this given the price.  

As a rule I never do production work in the latest version just because of this kind of nonsense.  I typically have 3 versions of Maya at any one time installed.  An older version (2015) for previous work I did, the current production version for doing real work (2016.5) and the latest version simply because I want to see what is there.  

Win 10 Pro 64Bit
Lenovo P72
64Gb Ram
Nvidia P4000
Message 64 of 73
gerador20
in reply to: rimcrazy

so far only thing is crashing for me is bifrost but i think its my ram and just had a crash a min ago with hypersader 

i7 6700k

16 g ram

amd 390x 8g 

Message 65 of 73
gigayo

Erm.. whos talking about crashings?????? dude, did you even bother to follow this thread from the beginning?? this guy... seriously :s

rimcrazy, setups have nothing to do with the matter we are talking about. Sigh, i give up.. seriously. Some of you , amaze me...

Message 66 of 73
gerador20

i understand your upset dude. but dont come here and take it out on the people who are on this forum. if you really have this much of a issue with this update then why dont you get ahold of autodesk support team and take it out on them 

Message 67 of 73
gigayo

Well, if someone comes here trying to talk about something that has nothing to do with the matter in question, i can correct him once. But more than that, that person is stupid if he keeps talking about things that nobody is interested because are things not related to the matter in question or he is trying to be a smartass, and i dont think being "smooth" will solve anything. You keep talking about "im not having crashes" = maya is perfect. Thats what you basically are saying all the time, and not even once in this post we said anything about maya crashing or watever. Stop being a smartass, please.

And what are you talking about?? im not having more issues than others, im having THE EXACT SAME ISSUES as everybody else. The only difference is that i seem to care more than anyone else for buying such expensive product with so many broken things and feel totally scammed.

Message 68 of 73
juliaskiba
in reply to: arcon76

Every update fixes something and beaks something. Up until update 3, graph editor was extremely glitchy. Autodesk just had to go in and fix things that weren't broken until they broke. In Update 3, finally, graph editor is partially restored to its 2016 former glory, but the render engines get completely messed up. Baking Arnold update into the update is also a very very bad idea. It should be a separate patch, like they used to do with Mental Ray - having a service pack side by side with the primary update.

And just in general - enough with all the lies! First they said they weren't going to do updates anymore, then they started to offer updates, that are next to impossible to located on this convoluted website.  Second, they said that Updates were complete replacements for the installer, not service packs, yet they install exactly like service packs. When the main Maya installer is over 1GB and an update is 300MB, you bet, it's a patch, not an installer replacement. Lastly, they said updates were only going to contain API fixes, leaving the main binaries alone. Well, as I mentioned, graph editor is a part of the main program shell. It's completely messed up in the original Maya release, totally unworkable. Then Update 3 fixes it. How is this not a service pack?

Lies, lies, lies and then incompetence on top of that.

Autodesk bought Eagle and completely alienated the user base (including myself). They also bought Shotgun and turned it into garbage. My firm also had to move away from Shotgun for asset management. If they keep "fixing" Maya like they're doing it currently, we may have to migrate 3D pipeline to Houdini.

Message 69 of 73
rimcrazy
in reply to: juliaskiba

You can always download Arnold and install it separately.  At least you still can now.  Who knows what they will do in the future.  Simply go here to the main download page and select which version for Maya you want.  If you want a previous version you can go here to the archive and pick a previous version.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit
Lenovo P72
64Gb Ram
Nvidia P4000
Message 70 of 73
juliaskiba
in reply to: rimcrazy

Thanks. That's what we have been doing. Installing Maya updates and then re-installing Arnold on top, and since we have many Arnold customizations that get wiped when the solidangle folder contents refresh, they also have to be re-applied, which is a 3-step process for something that would've been a single step operation with Maya 2016 and older.

Maya 2017 is simply not ready to be released. To this day it's an unfinished product. Very inconsistent across different hardware platforms. Viewport 2.0 is still a gimmick. Since the renders always end up looking different from the viewport representation, it may only be of benefit to game designers taking assets into Unity or UE where the look is relatively consistent. I still prefer legacy for anything that still works with it.

There are too many viewport bugs to count. My favorite one affects "snap to pivot" fucntionality. You get pivots snapping to different points and locking onto different objects depending whether the view is set to legacy or VP2.0.

If I were to discuss everything wrong with 2017 I'd be here all day. For now, 2016/2015 are the best production options. Unless a person is into MASH or Bifrost subsystems, I'd advise against upgrading. For a handful of fixes you get a bag of fresh bugs and glitches.

Patiently awaiting Update 4. Maya typically gets things right right before the next major release.

Message 71 of 73
gigayo
in reply to: juliaskiba

Im just losing my patience at giant steps lol. I just dont like to use the modelling kit to select objects or components or watever because i have a fancy customized shelf already and i just prefer right button -> select watever i want (its fastest). And i need to use it yes or yes because it is a pain to select objects that are just focused on my view. It will select all objects around, but not the one im interested in. Pathetic. Always the same story. Or trying to select components within that object, it will always select the components of the adyacents objects as well. And this is very annoying and im sooo tired of it.

Also, my custom shelf keeps dissapearing for no reason by time to time. This didnt happen before update 3, sigh.  I need to close maya and open it again to see it. ZZZ.

About the viewport 2.0, i just stopped using it. Period. Its completely useless. Sadly, you need it to see shadows, lights and other stuff to get an idea what you doing. Switching from viewport 2.0 to legacy all the times is also stupid.

If i were Autodesk, i will be really embarrased.. lol.

Message 72 of 73
MrMeireles
in reply to: arcon76

I love the possibility of merging panels as I want. This feature bothered me a lot until I found the docking padlock on the upper right corner. Now everything is great. 

On the other hand, when I open Maya, the fireworks of popping windows is a bit annoying, and I have the ikH error everytime I hit ctrl-z, which can be solved clicking on the ikH button. 

Well, Update 3 is out and I'm gonna test it now.

Remember to share your knowledge. That's good for everyone!

MrMeireles

[Maya 2018.6/2020.4]
[Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Intel i9 9900K 32GB]
[Asus TUF RTX 3060 Ti]
Message 73 of 73
whisper1
in reply to: MrMeireles

I find this thread very entertaining and a complete vindication of my loathing for the Subscription Only business model. From the customers' point of view, Subscriptions are a tremendous liability, especially if your business is dependent on a piece of software that was foisted onto you before it was ready to be released.

Thank you all.

You have been very helpful.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report