Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MASH, RAM build up not flushing.

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Az305
3052 Views, 14 Replies

MASH, RAM build up not flushing.

Hey there,

We are currently working on a project using Mash and keep running into memory crashes.

There are multiple Mash waiters in the scene, which all do a unique thing.

Over time, Maya seems like it's caching into RAM when we play a preview and keeps building up until it crashes from a memory overload. Maya doesn't seem to flush or refresh memory when we replay the scene.

Performing a batch render does the same thing, instead of mayabatch program terminating, the system freaks out and terminates every other program.

Thanks,

Zedd.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
sean.heasley
in reply to: Az305

Hi @Az305 have you tried running a flush script? This command can do a decent job of clearing the memory usage.

import maya.cmds as cmds

cmds.flushUndo()

Message 3 of 15
Az305
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi Sean,

Do you mind explaining how to do that?
Thanks.

Message 4 of 15
sean.heasley

step 1.png

Select this button to open the script window

step 2.png

Copy paste the first line and hit the play button (make sure Python tab is selected)

step 3.png

Copy past the second line and hit play. This should flush the processes.

Message 5 of 15
Az305

Oh, I was trying it in MEL.

I have run it in python and it doesn't affect the memory.

So it seems that something else is filling my RAM.

Message 6 of 15
sean.heasley

Strange. You may also want to try taking your RAM out and set it again just to make sure there are no issues.

Message 7 of 15
Az305

Swapped the RAM and loaded the project on different systems, they all build up RAM.

Some computers with 32GB seem to manage it fine without crashing anything, my system has only 16GB so I might need to upgrade.

Message 8 of 15
Jdraisey

I run into a similar issue because I often open and close dozens of scenes per day. After opening a few scenes in a row, Maya 2017 fails to flush any data stored in RAM, and will hit my 64GB limit. So I have to close Maya 2017 from my Windows Task Manager (Windows 7, dual xeon workstation).

A clue might be the scene size. My scenes are usually in the 8GB+ range in ram once opened. 

Message 9 of 15
sean.heasley
in reply to: Jdraisey

Hi @Jdraisey and welcome to the community!

Did you try following the steps I posted above?

Also yes large scenes may eat up a lot of RAM, could you link one here or send it to me in a message if you are still having an issue?

Message 10 of 15
Jdraisey

Actually, it looks like an Arnold Render View (MtoA 2.0.1) issue. Unfortunately the model is NDA, so I need to delete some sensitive geometry. I'll direct message you next week. Gotta hit a deadline tonight, so I'm going to rebuild the scene in 2016 since that version (so far) has been very reliable.

Message 11 of 15
mspeer

Hi!

Could you upload a scene-file?

Message 12 of 15
Az305

Hey @Jdraisey,
Have tried optimizing your scene?
Message 13 of 15
Jdraisey

I'm currently in the process of optimization. I have 520 texture files being pulled at 4096 x 4096 resolution. After careful consideration, I've dropped them to 2048 x 2048 (or lower) to save on .TX file conversion and I/O time being read from my hard drive and RAM.

But I'm rebuilding in Maya 2016 to hit my deadline first.

Message 14 of 15
Jdraisey

Just to follow up, it was actually an Arnold issue with a memory leak happening when Motion Blur was enabled. MtoA 2.0.1 fixed this issue. Sorry for the false alarm!

Message 15 of 15
sean.heasley

Hey @Jdraisey thanks for coming back and letting us know!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report