Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lo-res mesh is black in viewport.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1250 Views, 6 Replies

Lo-res mesh is black in viewport.

Weird Maya 2016 issue here:

When I have my mesh in lo-res mode (the "1"key), it shows up flat black in the viewport (regardless of if the renderer is Viewport 2.0 or the default). As soon as I go into smooth mesh mode, the texture/color shows up. This is obviously a pain because animating is better without the smooth mesh preview on.

To head off the obvious: no, the normals are not reversed; no, there is not a flat black material assigned, and I don't have the display set to show lights. It seems entirely dependent upon the fact that it's a lo-res mesh. If I add a smooth node to the mesh, for example, the color returns. But if I have the mesh in its original, lo-res display mode, it's completely black. Seriously, what the heck is going on with this program?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
cornelh
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous

Hey man sorry to hear you are having this issue.  To better help figure out what is going on here can you please let me know what shaders you are using?  also make sure you unlock your normals, as this can sometimes cause this kind of display issues.  Can you please provide me with your system specs. as there might also be an issue with your graphics card drivers.  Make sure you have these up to date.  What is your current OS.  Mac? Win? what versions.  Please let me know if you would like to work this case off of the forum via our Technical Support Portal?  I would be more than happy to help you figure this out.  I can do a teamviewer session if need be.  Also could you PM me your contact information, as I would like to give you a call related to this case. I look forward to your reply, Thank you.

Message 3 of 7
giovannisEERKF
in reply to: cornelh

@cornelh

Hi!! I'm using maya 2017 and I noticed the same issue.

Here the steps I made when I noticed this issue:

- skinned mesh in classic linear (mesh still ok)

- I change the method in weight blended (mesh still ok)

- activate paint skin weights tool (mesh still ok)

- paint something (mesh still ok)

- come back in object mode (mesh becomes black)

Now if I change again the skinning method in Classic Linear or if I use the display smooth (keyboard "3") is fine, but if I want to use the low-res mesh (keyboard "1") it becomes black.

The mesh has the default lambert1 material, I tried to assign new basic materials like another lambert or a blinn but nothing change.

As you were asking it we're using Windows 7 Professional, graphic card NVIDIA Quadro 4000 and driver 21.21.13.7662

Any clues for this?

Thanks a lot!

Giovanni

Message 4 of 7

Little update

It seems to be a problem with the Set to face command for the normals. The default option is "Unlock vertex face normals" and is causing this issue

Message 5 of 7
mspeer
in reply to: giovannisEERKF

Hi!

I followed your steps, and it works fine here.

Please upload a scene that shows the problem.

Edit:

Yes normals can be the problem, they will be reset/unlocked when using Smooth Mesh Preview.

Message 6 of 7
giovannisEERKF
in reply to: mspeer

Figured out!! After the set to face and soften edge I used the "lock normals". Now it works!!

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: giovannisEERKF

That just solved it for me, thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report