Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with Maya 2015 FBX export and importing into Maya 2016

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
1479 Views, 3 Replies

Issues with Maya 2015 FBX export and importing into Maya 2016

Hi All,

I'm relatively new, so apologies in advance if this seems like a silly/easy little fix, or if someone has already posted a similiar question to the forum. I'm trying to export a skinned model from Maya 2015 as an FBX and import it into Maya 2016, but I'm having trouble. I decided I'd ask y'all and see what you think. Just to make it easier to understand, I'll go through my process.

In the Outliner, I SHIFT+LMB click all the groups in the outliner that contain the geometry, joint chains, and IK handles. After that, I make sure to select them all from the Outliner and then choose File-->Export Selection-->FBX Export. After saving the export file, I get a warning/error message box.

The Warning and Error message says:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Skin Definition (2):
The plug-in has found the following skin definition problems :

Unable to find the bind pose for : / root / spine01 / spine02 / spine03 / spine04 / neckBase / neck01 / head / headBack. No bind poses in the hierarchy containing the object will be exported.

Unable to find the bind pose for : / root / hip_R / knee_R. No bind poses in the hierarchy containing the object will be exported.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because I was unsure as to what I needed to fix, I copy/pasted the newly created FBX export file into the scenes folder of the Maya 2016 project. After setting the project, creating a base scene, and saving it, I then attempt to Import the file into the scene, resulting in this message:

Warning: Local Transform Changed (36)

The FBX plug-in has detected Non-uniform scaling values. The following nodes (or their parents,) have non-standard Maya scaling inheritance (RSrs). The plug-in will re-compute their local transforms to match their correct global transforms and re-plot the transform animation frame by frame. These nodes might have interactive behavior in Maya that differs from the source application.

spine01

spine02

spine03

spine04

neckBase

neck01

head

maw

mawENd

headBack

hbackNull

backNull

clav_L

shoulder_L

elbow_L

wrist_L

handNull

thumbNull

clav_R

shoulder_R

elbow_R

wrist_R

hip_L

knee_L

knee2_L

ankle_L

footNull_L

footBackNull_L

kneeSpike_L

hip_R

knee_R

knee2_R

ankle_R

footNull_R

footBackNull_R

kneeSpike_R

After I close down the message box, nothing shows up in any of my view panels. I can, however, see that "something" has been imported in my Outliner. Essentially, Maya imported the FBX file and generated empty group nodes for each object I tried to export (same naming convention, layout, etc.), except none of the geometry, joint chains, or IK handles are actually available to work with...

If anyone has any idea what could be going on, I'd really appreciate it! Thank you for you time and thoughts.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
damaggio
in reply to: Anonymous

Why not just open the 2015 file in 2016?

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: damaggio

Haha...wow, I feel silly! 

I had it in my mind that there were going to be issues with file compatibility between the 2015 and 2016 versions of Maya.

Thank you, so far there aren't any problems. 

Message 4 of 4
damaggio
in reply to: Anonymous

Great Brett, I sometimes get liitle issues the other way around 2016 back to 15...good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report