Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue With Student Version

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
4288 Views, 12 Replies

Issue With Student Version

• issue.png
    So I installed the student version (I have a .edu email and such) of Maya and I keep getting this message any time I try and do anything like save or copy a cube. 

What does this message mean and how do I get rid of it?
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous and welcome to the community!

This alert appears whenever Maya is saving or opening a scene file because you are on a student license.

So if you have auto-saving enabled or are just hitting CTRL+S this will appear every time. The only way to disable this would be to purchase a standard license of Maya which would mean you are no longer using the student version.

Message 3 of 13
sean.heasley
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

I'm just checking in again to see if you need more help with this. Did the information I provided yesterday help you?

If so, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

So basically I can't do anything useful with this even if it's for my own little silly projects to broaden my skillset? If I can't use Maya for animation what other software could I use that's free or full use for students? 

Message 5 of 13
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

You can still work with Maya, this window should only appear when saving a scene or doing an action that involves Maya saving over the old version (hence why the window appears).

If you're doing things like modeling or animating this window shouldn't appear every time. Is this window appearing during other actions then saving?

If so, can you possibly post a video of this occurring so I can get a better idea of what's happening?

If you need a video capturing program, Screencast is a great option that we use here at Autodesk

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

Uploading video right now.  Hang on. 

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

Here is the issue, I think. 
https://autode.sk/2l5dRGh

Message 8 of 13
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

Thanks for uploading that video!

So I think you might be confused by that prompt. It's only appearing to let the user know that they are working with a student license, it still saves the file and you can still work, make progress, save, close Maya and reopen it to continue working from your saved file.

As for the copy paste prompt. I believe that when copy pasting by doing CTRL+C and CTRL+V Maya writes out a save hence why the prompt appears. That said, if you use SHIFT+D to copy paste instead the prompt shouldn't appear.

Main takeaway should be that your work is being saved and that the prompt isn't doing anything to your projects.

Please let me know if this information helps or if you need any more assistance!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

Ohhh ok I see! Yes the file did save! 
I'm still not able to copy the cube but I guess that's because I'm not used to its layout yet. I'm still fairly new to anything related to 3D. 

Message 10 of 13
ajcalabro

Hi I have a related question. I have a educational version of Maya as a teacher. I saved a file and opened it from a business copy I own. How do I remove the license pop up from showing everytime I open the file transferred to a project under my paid account?

Message 11 of 13
sean.heasley
in reply to: ajcalabro

Hi @ajcalabro

I'm not 100% sure if there is a way to remove that license flag.

What you could do is export everything as an fbx or obj and then import it back into the Maya with your license.

Also worth noting, if you do have an active subscription you don't need to worry about any of those flags if you're going to be making things for commercial use.

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

Hi...I am having the same issue as the person her initially posted this thread, however, after the save prompt comes up, Maya immediately takes me to an error screen. When the save notice comes up I am not doing anything that would be related to saving. When I attempt to apply a Lambert material to a NURBS plane, the program brings up the student version save message box with the title "Student Version file" with the wording: The file being saved was created by a student version of Maya intended for personal learning only. If you save the file, this message will always appear whenever the file is opened." I then given the option to click continue or cancel. If I select either of those options, I am then taken to another screen that shows "Autodesk Maya Error Report Details" and asks me to input my email and send the error report to you. I have done this the first few times this has happened. The error signature that is given in the message looks like this:
application: Autodesk Maya 2018
version: 201706261615-f9658c4cfc
error: unhandled exception

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but this keeps happening. Please advise. thanks

Message 13 of 13
mspeer

Hi!

This is not the same issue.

Your Maya simply crashes and tries to save the current progress in a file before being closed, that's why the student popup comes up, but the popup is not related to the crash itself.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report