Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to invert an alphamap in Hypershade

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
26613 Views, 5 Replies

How to invert an alphamap in Hypershade

Hey Guys,

I'm new to Maya but worked with Blender in a long time. I'm currently trying to understand the Hypershade in Maya 2018, but have some problems: How can I invert an alpha map, like a specular map? In Blender you've just set an invert node between the texture and the shader, but this doesn’t seem to work the same way in Maya. There is the reverse node, that kind of invert the colours, but I don’t know how to use this. I can’t just plug it in between the alpha map and the aiStandartSurface. Why not? How does this work?

P.S. Sorry for my bad English

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

You can use the Color Correct node and plug the alpha texture into it. From there you can tweak the Alpha Offset which should reverse the opactiy values.

Please let me know if this helps or if you need any more assistance!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 3 of 6
sean.heasley
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

I'm just checking in again to see if you need more help with this. Did the suggestion I provided on Monday work for you?

If so, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

In the file texture node you can select invert. See image.invert.PNG

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Thx!

Simple and effective solution xD 

But I still don't understand why Maya sees my alpha map for hairs as an inverted texture? 
When I plug it in other software everything runs smoothly and without any problem. 

Message 6 of 6
patrick.schock

Hello @Anonymous,

it is the way how Maya is interpreting the alpha channel for hair, black is used for opaque and white for transparency:

Hair card textures are inverted in color upon rendering [maya]

Best regards,

Patrick

“https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png”

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report