Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotkeys sticking bug

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
christinahall3d
4442 Views, 26 Replies

Hotkeys sticking bug

Has anyone found a solution for the bug where after holding down a hotkey it either gets stuck or it turns into a toggle. I have this problem on all of the snapping modes (x,c,v), moving pivots (d), and discrete mode ( j ). Sometimes the key stops working halfway through the action.

IE: I'm trying to snap a pivot (d >v) and it shuts off and goes into translate mode. Then when I release it will get stuck in pivot mode and I have to manually turn off both snapping and pivot mode. This has happened on multiple computers in both 2015 and 2016.

26 REPLIES 26
Message 21 of 27
Anonymous
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hello Sean, 

Thanks for the video, it will hopefully help illustrate my issue. 

At the 1:20 mark of your video.....where you hold down "d" and then "v" to snap the manipulator to the various points/verts. YES works as intended, then like you said, release of hotkeys take you out of edit mode and turns off snapping.

My issue is that when I finish doing that same input (using "d" and "v" to move origin of the manipulator) I sometimes (randomly) will have the grid snapping set to "snap" (depressed)....this is without having manually of turned it on or using the standard hotkey of "x"

It'll look like this in my tray till I go up and manually turn it off.

grid_stuck_on.png

I'll then have to manually go up and turn of the grid snapping. My confusion and frustration caused by this issue is that why does grid snapping turn on when that hotkey ("x") isn't depressed from attempting move and edit pivot points using hotkeys  "d" and "v"? Like I said this happens randomly anywhere from 4 to 5 times a day, not the end of the world....but a workflow killer for me. 

Thank you for looking into this issue and for your reply.

Message 22 of 27
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

This is definitely weird and I haven't been able to reproduce it on my machine.

Do you have any third party plug-ins/scripts running that could possibly be causing the issue?

Another option is to try deleting your settings/preferences. This will get Maya back to default so be sure to back up your prefs folder before resetting!

Let me know if anything changes!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 23 of 27
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

I'm just checking in again to see if you need more help with this. Did the suggestion I provided work for you?

If so, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 24 of 27
Anonymous

Is there a "how to" or a maya procedure way of deleting preferences? I always do wholesale and end up loosing my shelves and plug-ins too...I'm not sure if there is a process of elimination or desired process to achieve keeping some stuff intact while nuking the perceived problem.

Message 25 of 27
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

So this is the general guide for deleting your settings/preferences

In these steps we have you rename the folder to prefsOld so a new preferences folder can be made and yes like you said your shelves and plug-ins will be gone when you first launch Maya.

To work around this:

1. Go to My Documents-> maya-> maya version i.e 2016, 2017 etc.-> prefs
  2. Inside your prefs folder you will see many folders.
  3. Here you can copy your Shelves, Plug-ins and anything else you may need
  4. Paste them into the new prefs folder.

This should allow you to reset Maya to default, but still carry over all of your custom shelves, plug-ins etc.

I hope these steps work for you but if not, let me know and we can troubleshoot more!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 26 of 27
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

I'm just checking in again to see if the steps I provided yesterday helped you keep your plug-ins and shelves. Did the steps help you reset Maya while still being able to keep your shelves and plug-ins or do you need more assistance?

If your issue is resolved, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 27 of 27
jograybeal

i have been having the same problem lately. my only solution is to only hold D and it snaps to whatever i have selected at the top of the screen....... its like the V hotkey isnt working D still kicks me into snap mode but V isnt snapping to verts. So at the top i selected the vertex magnet and it is my only work around for snapping pivots....... kinda super annoying 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report