Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GoZ won't install (Maya 2016.5 OR 2018)

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
bentway
17273 Views, 10 Replies

GoZ won't install (Maya 2016.5 OR 2018)

I think this is a Maya/Windows permissions issue, hence the post here (as well as at Pixologic).

I recently installed 4R8 on my PC (Windows 10), and GoZ won't work on either Maya 2016.5 or 2018. I even had a phone call with one of the Pixologic employees who couldn't figure out what's wrong, although he suspects it's some sort of permissions issue. The gent I spoke with supposes it's a permissions issue--GoZ launches Maya (whichever one it's targeted to, I've tried both), but then nothing happens. No GoZ shelf appears in Maya, the plugins don't show up either in the UI or in the folders themselves. GoZ just installs itself nowhere.

Again, I'm running Windows 10. This is a fresh install, only a couple of weeks old. I don't know if it's a permissions issue within Maya itself, or in Windows Defender, or McAfee, or whatever. (I tried an install with McAfee completely uninstalled, but got the same result.)

Would anyone have an idea as to how I can get it to work?

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
sean.heasley
in reply to: bentway

Hi @bentway

I can't test too much since I don't have access to Zbrush but a quick test would be to see if you have Mental Ray installed.

Mental Ray isn't installed by default from 2016 onward so if you don't have it installed its possible that's why you're seeing the issue.

Let me know if anything changes!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 3 of 11
bentway
in reply to: sean.heasley

Yup, mental ray is installed. (Obviously not for 2018, but for 2016.5.) I've been using Maya itself fine, no problem--just can't get the plugin installed.

Message 4 of 11
mspeer

Hi!

It looks like GoZ is not compatible with Maya 2018.

http://pixologic.com/zbrush/features/GoZBrush/

Did you try manual installation for Maya 2016.5?

http://docs.pixologic.com/user-guide/zbrush-other-programs/goz/manual-installation/

Message 5 of 11
bentway
in reply to: mspeer

It looks like these instructions are pretty much shelf-specific. That installed the shelf (which was something the guy from Pixologic couldn't make happen), but that's it--that doesn't actually install the plug-in. Pressing the button just gives me the error:

// Error: file: C:/Users/Public/Pixologic/GoZApps/Maya/GoZBrushFromMaya.mel line 43: Plug-in, "gozMaya", was not found on MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH. //

I read through the .mel file and it says the plug-in needs to be installed (at line 43). I manually copied the plug-in to the Maya 2016.5 plug-ins folder, but no change. The plug-in still doesn't show up in settings/preferences, either.

Message 6 of 11
bentway

Success! Piecing together various forum replies, I beat it into shape.

Here are the steps, in case someone else has this problem (I can't think I'm the only one ever):

Disabled notification on User Account Control, reinstalled GoZ from Pixologic\Troubleshooting folder.

Manually copied, from the Pixologic\GoZApps\Maya:

shelf_GoZBrush.mel goes to Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2016.5\scripts\shelves

gozMaya.mll (version-specific) to C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2016.5\bin\plug-ins

GoZScript.mel to C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2016.5\scripts\startup

Also, they do have a GoZ for Maya 2018, just not 2017.

Woohoo! Thanks for the replies.
Message 7 of 11
jill.ramsay

Here's another thing to look out for: by default GoZ tries to open a new version of Maya every time you use it. To prevent this, copy "userSetup.mel" from C:\Users\Public\Pixologic\GoZApps\Maya and paste to C:\Users\user_name\Documents\maya\version\scripts. By the way, I recently installed GoZ for Maya 2018, and the above was the only thing I had to do manually. The rest of the process worked.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

I have the problem i dont find any shelves folder in my scripts folder. I have Maya 2015 and ZBrush 2018

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

Definitely, you saved me! Thank you so much!

@bentway wrote:

Here are the steps, in case someone else has this problem (I can't think I'm the only one ever):

Disabled notification on User Account Control, reinstalled GoZ from Pixologic\Troubleshooting folder.

gozMaya.mll (version-specific) to C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2016.5\bin\plug-ins

@bentway wrote:

Message 10 of 11
t_smith5
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm currently having issues with this. I tried what the original poster suggested, but the only gozMaya.mll files are in the folders for the previous versions. I tried copying the one for Maya 2019, but now I get an error saying ' Error: file: C:/Users/Public/Pixologic/GoZApps/Maya/GoZBrushFromMaya.mel line 43: The specified procedure could not be found.
(gozMaya)'. 😕

Message 11 of 11
bentway
in reply to: t_smith5

I skipped Maya 2019, but GoZ worked fine right out of the gate for 2020 with the newest ZBrush. They just had to rejigger things to accommodate Arnold being the native renderer. That being said, I've found Pixologic's customer service/tech support to be excellent.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report