Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FBX export not appearing with textures or Fbm. file

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
13449 Views, 7 Replies

FBX export not appearing with textures or Fbm. file

I was creating objects to import into unity, was doing fine with other ones til encountering this problem. Standard object created in maya with textures (Hypershade/Blinn) attached that can be seen in the viewport, with embedded media clicked on when exporting the object. But when imported to maya no textures appear and no following fbm file to attach it too. I'm struggling.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous and welcome to the community!

This is because you can't export Maya shaders to Unity. 

Unity has it's own material system and you would need to create the shader in Unity by importing the proper textures like albedo, roughness, normal etc.

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 3 of 8
sean.heasley
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

Just wanted to check in to see how things were going. Are you still having this issue?

If your issue is resolved, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 4 of 8
chaddivine
in reply to: sean.heasley

"This is because you can't export Maya shaders to Unity. "

While it is true Unity has it's own shaders, according to the new Unity 2018.2.15f1 this is no longer an issue with the import textures/materials feature it does it for you. 

Besides the issue for this person and myself, thus my post, is that Maya is not exporting the supporting embedded files in the FBM folder. Not that Unity doesn't support materials from outside apps.

Here is what I know and have done thus far to get this resolved on my end:

1 mesh is good

2 texture file paths are green checked according to FilePathEditor

3 Using Blinn not Arnold for materials/textures

4 checked Embed Media in Game Exporter plugin. 

5 no FMB folder is created no matter what I do.

6 I've read that all the info is just embeded in to the FBX and when if you click the file it creates the FBM folder, but that isn't happening either. I also check the file in FBX Review and it shows no textures.

7 I tried Lambert, named my files all correctly, have read countless posts about this issue with no constant answer and have just updated to 2018.4 sp. 

It creates an FBX but no FBM folder is exported thus no textures. The issue for me is this not how Unity handles textures in an FBX which now it does support via the extract textures/materials tab 

Please help!

Message 5 of 8
warrenBlyth
in reply to: chaddivine

I've been wrassling with this too. my fix: 
- check your .fbx file size. if i export without "embed media" it's about 1 mb. if i do checkmark "embed media" it's about 44mb. which means my diffuse and normal map images are indeed included, even though there is just a single .fbx (no .fbm folder). then:

a) you can start a new file in Maya, and import the big .fbx file. it will auto create a .fbm folder. then you can quit maya, and copy this .fmb and .fbx over into unity's asset folder. works for me.

or

b) as of version 2018.2.16f1 (released today?), i can just place the original big .fbx file in my unity assets folder. it shows up without the textures applied. i can click the file in my Unity Project folder and click the "Materials" tab in the Inspector. I can click the "Extract Textures..." button, and choose where I want them. Now i can see the texture files, and Unity is applying them to the imported fbx. (+ you can click the "extrat materials..." button if you want a material you can edit for this object, instead of having all the material options locked)

Message 6 of 8
warrenBlyth
in reply to: warrenBlyth

btw, i mentioned the Unity3D version number, because i found a thread suggesting this "materials" tab was working in 14, but was broken in 15. (ie, it was there, but didn't have any of these export buttons). so that was frustrating.

But I can confirm that everything works again now in version 16

Message 7 of 8
chaddivine
in reply to: warrenBlyth

Not sure what exactly seems to have fixed my issue. But Some things I did are as follows:

1 Switched to Blinn - made sure to name HyperShaders with corresponding names like ColorFile, ColorShader, EmissiveFile etc..

2 UpgradedMaya from 2018.3 to 2018.4 SP

3 Exported with Game Exporter FBX to desktop - double-clicked and it showed textures in FBX Review

4 Upgraded Unity from 2018.2.15 to 2018.2.16

The idea to test it with out adding textures to see if the file is bigger or not is a good one that could work for anyone trying to figure this out. 

Message 8 of 8
trs_andre
in reply to: chaddivine

It has been a while since this post, but I'm having the same issue...

Maya 2018.6 and Unity 2019.2.0f1 (also happening with Unity 2019.2.11f1).

I can export a simple plane with a texture to FBX (either with FBX exporter or Game Exporter), and in FBX Review it shows correctly with textures.

But upon importing it to Unity (or even using the "Send to Unity" Maya tool), there is no textures associated to the materials. The materials are indeed coming to Unity, but in the Albedo parameter there is no texture attached.

Also, when selecting the "Materials" tab in the Asset from the Unity Project tab, the materials' names are present, but with "None (Material)" on their right side. If I choose the materials from inside the asset and apply, everything turns pink and it becomes "None (Material)" again...

The FBX file size is big (approx. 20 MB), and shows correctly in FBX Review, so the data seems to have no problems. Only Unity isn't being able to handle it...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help!

*EDIT: The textures do appear IF I manually add the files to the Unity Project. The point is that this should be done automatically (I think Unity's older versions created an FBM folder upon importing an FBX file...)

André Moreira

Game Developer / Technical Artist

LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report