Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting FBX excluding hidden items?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
terenceHYG92
2302 Views, 5 Replies

Exporting FBX excluding hidden items?

Hello all,

I have a model, created from a reference file, and I have hidden many of the objects that are in the original reference.

Is there a way to export to FBX, but EXCLUDE the referenced objects I have hidden?

Thanks

T

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Select necessary geo, make sure those items have different hierarchy or are at World level, have no connections to references, and File>ExportSelection

,,,_°(O__O)°_,,,
Maya2019.1 @ Windows10 & GeForce GTX1080Ti

If the post was helpful, click the
 ACCEPT SOLUTION  button, so others might find it much more easily.

Message 3 of 6

I wish that would work, but it seems like Maya may not be able to do this.

The reference model contains hundreds of parts, half of which I have turned off the visibility for in the Layer Editor.

The problem is, when I Export Selection, I can't just export only the Visible items/layers.

If this isn't possible, I think this is a huge shortcoming of Maya.

Would love to hear any solutions. Thanks!

Message 4 of 6

Again.. once your geometry is not connected (connections/rigs/hierarchies/layers) to the references, you should be able to export the selection as FBX (depending on what you mean by reference, you might wish to disable ReferencedAssetsContent). In the last resort, group everything you want to export before you do.

,,,_°(O__O)°_,,,
Maya2019.1 @ Windows10 & GeForce GTX1080Ti

If the post was helpful, click the
 ACCEPT SOLUTION  button, so others might find it much more easily.

Message 5 of 6

My scene is composed of a file that is pointing to a reference model.

In the layer editor, I have hidden many of the objects within the model.

Maya seems to be unable to export this reference model, while EXCLUDING the hidden (unchecked visible in layer editor) layers.

Message 6 of 6
terenceHYG92
in reply to: terenceHYG92

This was a ridiculously easy solution: I was selecting the Model in the Outliner, as opposed to the actual geometry in the viewport. When I only selected the geometry, it exports without the hidden geo.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report