Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export obj animation?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
10033 Views, 2 Replies

Export obj animation?

Hi. I'm working with Augmented Reality (AR) and am reading the Prototyping Augmented Reality book from Sybex. The book only relates its 3D modelling tutorials to Blender. I've been trying to figure out translations of functions from Blender into Maya, but I'm particularly stumped on this one.

It tells me in Blender that in order to animate in AR, I need to export my 3D character animation as a sequence of .objs using the Wavefront .obj feature. Now I have my .obj plugin running in Maya, but I can't seem to get it to export an animation in sequence or find any good variable settings for the obj export. The online Maya guide from Autodesk seems to suggest that it's there but hell if I know where since it doesn't exactly tell you how to use it.

Seeing as I'm preparing to use this for a 24-hour competition in a few weeks, saving .objs manually on every frame and hoping everything works is very inefficient.

How do I export a sequence of .objs for an animation like Blender's Wavefront option? Is there some sort of equivalent in Maya? Do I need a plugin?
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You will need something else. Go to http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/utility-external/export/c/objs-exporter-... and try that. It is python and comes with a Readme file for directions.
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Mahaha! You have fallen directly into the devious trap know as 3D Data Interchange! Mahahahahahahah! Mahaha! *cough* *sputter* ha?

Ok, so this is actually a fairly common problem. You have data created in application XZY (no offense to XYZ, if they exist) but you want to integrate it with application ABC (once again, no offence) but realize something is lost in the translation. Your missing data.

If OBJ is the vehicle that connects your two products, you need to make sure the source application XYZ and the host application ABC actually correctly export, and translate the data property. It's not as easy as it may sound, giving rise to "middleware" products like PolyTrans (http://www.okino.com/conv/conv.htm) that do the job much better then anything else on the market. As it turns out, all OBJ files are not created equal, and 75% of them on the market just support the absolute barebones. Even if you use Polytrans and write out an OBJ file full of information, the importer may not be able to read it, so keep that in mind.

To address this problem Autodesk has released FBX (http://usa.autodesk.com/fbx/) a platform independent 3D Data interchange with a SDK so people can write importers for custom products. In addition there is COLLADA, the open source choice, and Alemic who is produced by Lucas Arts and Sony Pictures. Among the three, go with the one backed by Autodesk. Your importers and exports are in nearly everything Autodesk makes, they have a good forum here, and it's well documented and feature-rich.

Now, for a contest, the link above should work for a quick turn around. The bulk of this information might be useful down the road, or to someone else, so I wanted to add it.

So there you go, more information then you really care about. I hope it was helpful.

Avotas

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report