Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curve from Loops

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
2346 Views, 9 Replies

Curve from Loops

Hi, 

I've modeled some hair shapes but now I would like to create a curve through the middle of each one of them. 

Is there a way, script or not, to do this easily? See the attached image.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous and welcome!

The easiest way to do this would be to use a bend modifier. You can find steps on how to do that here.

It may be a bit complicated with how you have the hair as is and it might be easier to make one hair mesh and then duplicate after bending.

Let me know if this solves your issue!

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue, or reply with additional details if the problem persists.

Message 3 of 10
mspeer

Hi!

"Is there a way, script or not, to do this easily?"

No, but you could write one on your own.

But based on the amount of hairs a manual approach should be faster. (If you created the hair from nurbs by extruding along a curve it should be very easy.)

Message 4 of 10
Michael_Todd
in reply to: mspeer

Its just a matter of selecting isoparms on opposite sides of the tube then lofting between them and inserting an isoparm to the new surface, then selecting the isoparm and duplicating the curve from the surface

isoparmLoft1.pngAddIsoparm.pngAddIsoparm2.pngInsertIsoparm.pngDuplicateSurfaceCurves.pngDuplicateSurfaceCurves2.png

should be scriptable but given the number of tubes, it wouldn't take long to do it manually.

XGen has a tube groom option that can derive guides from tubes and adds interpolated guides inside the tube

Cheers 

Michael Todd

XGen Product Owner and Designer

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Tks

The hair was created in ZBrush and I don't know much about scripting.

Message 6 of 10
mspeer

Hi!

If the hairs are  polygon objects you can do something similar like @Michael_Todd posted by using tools for polygon objects, or you can work with Nurbs.

The key to both methods is:

Modify -> Convert -> Polygon Edges to Curve

If you prefer Polygon Modeling it would be the last step and if you prefer Nurbs modeling as @Michael_Todd showed it would be the first step.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Tks, I've actually found that the best way to do it is using C4D. 🙂

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

I've recorded a video. It's very cool. Probably MASH does it also.

Message 9 of 10
mspeer

Hi!

Glad you found a way to do it,

but it's not faster or "better" than doing this in Maya.

Message 10 of 10
ostlerda

Here's a script that will create a curve from a poly tube,  Just select the first edge loop of the tube and it will create a curve down the center of the tube

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report