Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Frame Offset be used in conjunction with keyed FrameExtension attribute?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
676 Views, 4 Replies

Can Frame Offset be used in conjunction with keyed FrameExtension attribute?

I could not find much information but I am getting a weird issue with the use of image sequence in imagePlane nodes.

I import in a file eg. myPicture.0001.jpg (68 image files in total, with the last file being myPicture.00068.jpg) and in the imagePlane node, I perform the following options:
* Check `Use Image Sequence`
* Frame offset with a value of `-5`

Image sequence is playing correctly when I scrub the Time Slider from Frame 6 to 73. At Frame 5 or Frame 74, it seems to play one of the random frame within that sequence but I do not really care about it for now.

In the same imagePlane node, I made more changes to its options:
* I remove the expression in `Image Number` or aka `.frameExtension` attribute
* set a key at Frame 6 and `.frameExtension` with a value of 1
* set a key at Frame 73 and `.frameExtension` with a value of 68
* Change the in and out tangent curve of `.frameExtension` to use Linear
So as to hold the first and last frame of the image sequence..

However, when I tried to scrub from Frame 6 to 73 again, expecting the same result as before, I noticed that:
* At Frame 6, it is not using the first image of the sequence
* The first image of the sequence actually starts at Frame 11 for some reasons...
* And at Frame 68, instead of the image displaying myPicture.0068.png, it is displaying myPicture.0062.png...

Am I doing something wrong? Or if there is a command that I need to use to 'updates' the images in the imagePlane node?

P.S: I also tried using jpg extension, or changing the padding to myPicture.1.png, all seems to be giving me same results...
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous 

What version of Maya are you working with and is it up to date?

Image planes with image sequences can be real finnicky and tend to break over the smallest details. 

If you don't use the offset or any other changes to the ImagePlane node does this issue still happen?

Message 3 of 5
sean.heasley
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous 

Just wanted to check in to see how things were going. Are you still having this issue?

If your issue is resolved, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi there, I am using Maya version 2018, with the latest package install as far as I can tell...
(P.S: I can't seems to edit my post, but there is a typo. I am using a 4-digit padding for my sequence... eg. myPicture.0068.jpg)

It seems that if frameExtension attribute is keyed, the offset value needs to be added into the frame number in order for it for the image sequence to be populated correctly. Eg. If I made an offset of 10, my 'first' image number should be '11' instead of '1'.
At least that is what I am seeing in my current program...

Additionally I also came to notice that imagePlane has some issues as well when using image sequence ie. if you are importing in a new sequence over an existing sequence, at certain frame, it is still displaying images of the previous sequence. To get past this, you will need to uncheck and check back the 'Use Image Sequence'

Message 5 of 5
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous 

The uncheck/recheck makes sense as your sort of refreshing the Image Plan to use the new sequence so that isn't too surprising.

For the frame offset this seems a bit odd but it doesn't seem like a bug or anything since adding an offset of ten would naturally make a frame go from 1 to 11. Is there any reason you need to add the frame offset?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report