Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best laptops for Maya?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
15602 Views, 9 Replies

Best laptops for Maya?

What is the best laptop brands you can use for 3d maya and animation?

Hi @Anonymous your title 'Best laptop' was edited  for clarity by @sean.heasley

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous and welcome to the community!

While there is no "best" brand of laptop for Maya, there is a list of supported hardware that you can cross check when looking at laptops.

Our list of certified hardware can be found here!

We also have a list of our system requirements and what we recommend for hardware that can be found here!

Generally, you'll want a moderately powerful processor like an i5 or an i7, at least 4GB of RAM and a dedicated GPU.

I personally use the HP Omen and it runs Maya very well!

Let me know if this helps you at all or if you need any more information!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 3 of 10
sean.heasley
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

I'm just checking in to see if you still need more any information on laptops. Did the information I provided on Friday help you understand what to look for in a laptop?

If so, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

I'm having trouble finding a current laptop with a graphics card that's listed on the Maya Certified Hardware list. A few models from previous years used Intel HD 4400, but many current ones use Intel P620 (not the P630 that's certified).

Message 5 of 10
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous and welcome to the community!

I would recommend finding a gpu on our list that you like then searching for laptops with that specific gpu.

For example, if you look for "laptops with a GTX 1080" you should easily be able to find one on sites like NewEgg or Best Buy!

Let me know if this helps or if you need any more assistance!

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

I could do it that way, but do I want the GTX 1080, 1070, 1060, 980, 760, 680 - or a Quadro, or something from AMD? Is it important to get the top-of-the-line video card, or would it be better to get extra RAM?

I chatted with an HP sales rep yesterday, and she thought any graphics card would be fine, even the Intel P620 that's on the current crop of EliteBook 1040s (my daughter had found an older EliteBook 840 with Intel's HD 4400). I guess the P620 is faster than the 4400, but does it share main memory and that's a problem?

Message 7 of 10
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

It depends what you're planning to do with Maya.

A powerful GPU will help with the viewport and modeling while a powerful CPU will help with rendering.

More RAM is always a good thing and I generally recommend 8GB or more for the average user and 32GB or more if they're working on heavy scenes with complex dynamics, animations etc.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

This is the MOST vague freaking "Thread" that I have EVER read.

Now come-ON, people. ...I mean OBVIOUSLY this discussion is a "time sensitive" thing. Right? This Thread could be TEN years old, for as far as ANYONE knows. BUT! With THAT in mind, all RE's are dated.

So, IF you are still answering (which this SHOULD be a "rolling" Thread) a question from TEN years ago, then obviously the RE's are moot.

But since the RE's ARE dated, this could go on, and on, and on...  : )

For example, I am CURRENTLY (as of this posting's date) looking for a replacement for my laptop to do some -HEH!!!- REAL rendering, on a NEW LAPTOP!!  I do not have "room" and travel quite a BIT, so a laptop is my ONLY line of defense, given the circumstances.

I have been using my good-"old"-trustworthy HP Elitebook (8760w) laptop. Now this BEAST has allowed me to actually RENDER some pretty heavy scenes, in her time. (God bless her!) ; ) and she is STILL running strong. But she's getting long in the tooth and only has 1GB VRAM on board and 24GB of standard RAM.

Since the software world has us by our pocketbooks, and they keep upgrading every 2.5 months (jk!) I have to have something that is portable AND has the Hardware Characteristics that I need to do what my Elitebook CAN, and more.

The ONLY manufacturer that I could find that could even MATCH today's tech with yesterday's specs AND tech, was a customizable Dell computer (SAME company as HP. No???)

So WHY can I NOT find an HP with FIVE USB ports? Dell's got 'em... amongst other things, of course...

But this is WHY I turned here... thinking that I might find "TODAY's" equivalent of 2010's 8760w's ... 

Does ANYone have a suggestion?? The HP "Z" series does NOT seem to have the peripherals that it had, just EIGHT years ago... and I thought we were "progressing." Heh! LOL! (-jk!-)

Anyway, if ANYone has a suggestion, I would be more than willing to listen. Thanks in advance : ) -EB

PS. Why do we not keep this as a "Rolling Thread"?? 

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

EthericBliss - curious if you found what you were looking for laptops that can run Maya effectively.  Please share the specs if you did.
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

well, there are plenty of websites, that you can use for Maya 3d and 3ds max software. As a professional architectural designer. I have been working on Maya and 3DS Max for more than two years. 

months ago, I changed my laptop to HP envy. And that works pretty well. And as I searched online, I found a better list of systems for Maya 3d and 3ds max. The website has honestly reviewed the best options(Hp Envy is also included) and concluded in the top 10. 

Therefore, by searching from that site can save your hours of time. I am giving a link to the page. So, if anyone wants honest and sincere regarding the best options. I would recommend them to visit the report once.

best laptops for Maya 3d and 3ds max

Tags (2)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report