Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ribbon/Spline Rigging

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
bryan549QZ
644 Views, 1 Reply

Ribbon/Spline Rigging

Hello, i have been struggling with this rig for days now to no end.

How would one rig and achieve an animation for a gym strap (see picture attached) to start from a flat strap and comes in to go through the hole and then wrap back around. 

2 methods i have tried and the same issues i have faced:

1. Ribbon Rigging method, gets a nice deformation but no rotation controls. ribbon rigging method stretches the mesh which would just destroy all my UVs.

2. Bone Rig/Spline IK method, has rotation but get weird deformations when it the joints get too close with each  other(it would almost be touching). also this methods dosent give me a smooth curve.

The main issue is keeping the shape of the logos and getting a nice, curved deformation.

If anyone has any ideas it would be gladly appreciated!

689efb52-29a5-4653-8a7f-7598df4fa9de.jpg

photo_6219996076887356674_y.jpgphoto_6219996076887356672_y.jpgphoto_6222143736629015816_x.jpg

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Kahylan
in reply to: bryan549QZ

Hi!

If you don't mind me asking, why aren't you using FK to do this animation? This seems like something that could be pretty easily animated with just an FK chain.

You could also ensure that you don't stretch your ribbon too much by arranging your driver joints in an FK type setup and only using rotation to animate your setup.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report