Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paint Weights resets after clicking out

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Avaricius
1295 Views, 6 Replies

Paint Weights resets after clicking out

Hello, I'm currently having a problem with adjusting the paint weights of a character. Every time I make a change and click out or switch to my rotate tool and then come back to the paint weights tool, it reverts back to the state when I haven't made any changes.  I have checked previous posts such as this and the fixes they have mentioned have not actually helped me with fixing this (idk if it's a maya version thing or not).

Thank you in advance for the help!

Below are screenshots of the issue:

benjaminfranco1337_0-1649358624731.png

Before adjustments

benjaminfranco1337_2-1649358707106.png

After adjustements

benjaminfranco1337_3-1649358729640.png

Switch out

benjaminfranco1337_4-1649358759414.png

Coming back to paint weights tool

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

What did you give out for "max influence" when binding? And also if you can share the scene I can take a look.

Goutham Chandran
Cinematic Animator | Rockstar Games
Linkedin | Instagram | Facebook

Message 3 of 7
Kahylan
in reply to: Avaricius

Could it be that you are trying to take weight away from a joint with locked weights?
Are you getting some kind of Warning in the bottom right corner while painting weights?

Message 4 of 7

Heres the scene with the problem:

Message 5 of 7
ShinyShadow41
in reply to: Avaricius

Yes the problem was max influences. I had the same problem in this scene. Select the object > go to attribute editor > switch to "skinCluster" tab > set "Max Influences" to 2 or higher.
Message 6 of 7

As suspected, the max influence was indeed the issue here. You could either change the max influence using the attribute editor and edit the skin weights or remove all the binding and freshly bind the skin again with the new settings. I would recommend that you bind the skin weight again rather than modifying the existing one because by using this you'll get a much better first result so you don't have to modify each and every joint.

Also personally for this model, I would give it a max influence of 3.

Screenshot 2022-03-22 084849.jpg

Happy Rigging!

Goutham Chandran
Cinematic Animator | Rockstar Games
Linkedin | Instagram | Facebook

Message 7 of 7

Thank you! this is exactly what I was looking for. 😁
I hope that this would help other people that would encounter this same exact problem. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report