Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nConstraint is giving the error "source attribute '.nucleusid' cannot be found

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
zackjavinlu
978 Views, 1 Reply

nConstraint is giving the error "source attribute '.nucleusid' cannot be found

Full error:

// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2019/scripts/others/createNConstraint.mel line 722: The source attribute '.nucleusId' cannot be found. //

I'm trying to make attach a cape to a walking animation using a point to surface nConstraint. I made the nCloth in a new animation scene using a referenced rig but it comes to this error every time. Other nConstraints like component to component also yields this error.

Things I've tried:

I've tried making the nCloth in the original rig and it yields the same error, so the error is not because I used a referenced file.

I've tried resetting my preferences but same error.

I've tried testing this constraint on a simple scene, a cube and a plane, and it works! So the problem is with the animation/mesh.

I have looked at the node editor and I don't understand it. I can confirm that the nRigidShape(the passive collider on the mesh) IS connected to the nucleus. Sorry, I'm still a beginner.

Component to Component on the nCloth cape DOES work.

Making the mesh a passive collider does work with the cloth. From what I understand, the point to surface nConstraint should automatically make the surface a passive collider. Regardless, I've tried making the passive collider before and after the nConstraint and it yields the same error.

I have deleted the history on the cape before creating the nCloth.

What I want to know is how to fix this error and what is causing it so I can avoid it in the future. I don't understand why nucleus ID is needed or why it cannot be found, or for what. Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
laomusic_arts
in reply to: zackjavinlu

Hi!

I just had this issue and did this :

The error indicates that the .nucleusId attribute is missing, which suggests there might be an issue with the Nucleus solver or the constraints setup in Maya. Here are a few steps to troubleshoot and potentially resolve this issue:

Steps to Resolve the Error

1. Check Nucleus Solver: Ensure that you have a Nucleus solver in your scene. If not, you can create one by going to the Dynamics menu set, then nDynamics > Nucleus > Create Nucleus.

2. Check for Existing Nucleus Constraints: Sometimes existing constraints or their incorrect settings can cause issues. Delete any existing constraints on the vertex or object and try to recreate them.

3. Reset Tool Settings: Reset the settings for the Nucleus constraint tools. Go to nDynamics > nConstraint > Point to Surface, and click the small option box next to it. Then, click "Edit" and choose "Reset Settings."

4. Script Editor: Sometimes running specific MEL scripts directly can bypass the UI issues. Open the Script Editor and run the following commands:

// Select the vertex or vertices
select -r vertexComponent;

// Select the target object
select -add targetObject;

// Create the Point to Surface constraint
createNConstraint pointToSurface;

• Replace vertexComponent with the appropriate vertex selection (e.g., pCube1.vtx[0]) and targetObject with the target object's name.

•  

• Check for Updates: Ensure that you have the latest service pack or update for Maya 2018 installed. Autodesk frequently releases updates that fix various bugs.

•  

• Scene Integrity: Sometimes scenes can become corrupted or have hidden issues. Try importing your objects into a new scene to see if the problem persists.

•  

• Manual Attribute Check: If the error persists, you might need to manually inspect and add the .nucleusId attribute if it is missing. Use the following MEL commands to inspect and potentially add the attribute:

// Check if the attribute exists
if (!`attributeExists "nucleusId" yourObjectShape`) {
    // Add the attribute if it doesn't exist
    addAttr -ln "nucleusId" -at long yourObjectShape;
}

1. Replace yourObjectShape with the shape node of your object.

Example Steps:

1. Select the vertex or vertices you want to constrain.

2. Shift-select the target object.

3. Run the following MEL command in the Script Editor:

createNConstraint pointToSurface;

By following these steps, you should be able to resolve the error and apply the Point to Surface constraint successfully. But I did NOT!!
I finally came with an old solution for the buggy Maya:
- on the old scene, I save the nCloth hard-work-hours as a preset

- create a new scene an imported the old one, overwritting it.
- I used the same saved presets as before and... VOILA!
Constrains working again!

Hope this helps others too!

LAO

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report