Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2017 skin weight mirror error

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
4861 Views, 5 Replies

Maya 2017 skin weight mirror error

Hi guys, 

I just used the auto rig feature to rig a character. then went on to paint the weights on the left side. when i tried to mirror the weights 

i got n error saying 

// Error: file: /Applications/Autodesk/maya2017/Maya.app/Contents/scripts/others/doMirrorSkinWeightsArgList.mel line 84: QuickRigCharacter_Ctrl_RightLeg is not in a skinCluster. // 

now my question is how would i bring that bone into the influences? 

Hi @Anonymous your title 'skin weight influances' was edited for clarity by @sean.heasley

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

I'm not an expert on rigging, but are you selecting the joint when you're trying to mirror?

When trying to duplicate weights you actually need to select the mesh to mirror its skinWeights because there could be multiple skinClusters on a single joint.

If that doesn't work, there's also some steps on mirroring skin weights you can find here!

I hope this solves your issue but if not feel free to let me know and I'd be happy to troubleshoot further with you!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 3 of 6
sean.heasley
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

I'm just checking in to see if you are still having this issue with your skin weights. Did the steps on duplicating skin weights I provided yesterday help resolve your issue?

If so, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Hi Sean 

Sorry for the late reply. The problem wasn't with the duplication of paint weights, it was that some of the joints (bones) weren't showing up in the influences of the paint weights tool, so i wasn't able to paint weight on certain bones. i managed to figure it out eventually, more by chance realy.

Then just painted each side individually. Thank you for your response

Message 5 of 6
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

I'm glad you figured it out! When you get a chance, would you mind posting in detail what you did to fix the issue and then mark it as Accept as Solution? This will help other users with the same issue find your solution easily! 

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Had the same problem with mirroring skin weight on Eyelids (it worked fine with Cheeks).

Tried the several method with no success (Closest point didn't get any weight, Raycast got wrong mirroring).

Any ideas?

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report