Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Maya reference files and namespaces??

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
kate30787SSAN
183 Views, 1 Reply

Help with Maya reference files and namespaces??

Hi. I have an animation scene with several rigged characters and items referenced in. I have already done a bunch of animation and just now realised that for some reason the referenced files do not have their own namespaces (though I am pretty sure I had 'Use namespaces' checked when I set up the references??). The problem is that I NEED namespaces to export the animation correctly, but I can't seem to figure out how to add a namespace to an existing reference. Is this possible?? I'd really rather not have to set up new references and copy all my animation over...???

Many thanks for any advice.

Labels (5)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
dinofiguera
in reply to: kate30787SSAN

Hello. 
As far as I know, there is no way to add a namespace to an already referenced file since they are read-only files.
The solution I will probably use is to import all referenced files in the scene and check if the controller's names are clean. In case they are not, use a renamer to correctly rename the controllers with their clean names.
After that, I would export all the animations (using Maya native Atom exporter or better, the Studio Library plugin) 
after the animations are exported I would clean up the scene from all the rig (make a back-up copy)
then I´d reference new rigs with a clean namespace and paste all the animations.
Hope this will fix your problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report