Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Inaccurate display of skinweights

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
exsulator
659 Views, 3 Replies

Help! Inaccurate display of skinweights

I'm reusing an older rig, but found an unwelcome surprise.

Notice in this gif how the head joint controls random parts of the body, but when I rotate the head joint, it moves only the head. In other words, the "paint skin weights tool" displays weights inaccurately!

ocdJS3BAfQ.gif

Admittedly, I've done a nono, since I changed the geometry a bit after it was skinned. But still, why would the tool display totally inaccurate weights?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: exsulator

Hi

Once you can take duplicate of your model and cleanup up the model then bind and copy the weight from old to new model.

And check.

thanks

Message 3 of 4
exsulator
in reply to: exsulator

I decided to export the skinweights from the old, unaltered model, then apply them to my modified rig.

Now as you can see, the skin weight LOOKS okay, but this time, they're NOT OKAY AT ALL.

The Paint Skin Weights Tool is an odd one. Btw this is done in maya 2019 on a fresh install, while the earlier post I did it all in 2018

j5qOAxpntd.gif

Message 4 of 4
exsulator
in reply to: Anonymous

A one to one copy did a lot of the work, thanks! Oddly, I still had to fix some verts here and there, but overall this solved my problem. Thanks! Still buggles my mind, why the tool insisted on showing wrong weights...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report