Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't add Curves as selected targets for Blendshapes

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Ithritable
318 Views, 2 Replies

Can't add Curves as selected targets for Blendshapes

So I'm trying to deform eyebrows on my rig using wire deformations and creating blendshapes out of the curves.

Creating blendshapes with wires by selecting both the base shape and a target shape being a curve, or editing the base curve as a target shape itself initially works fine.

On the other hand, I want the same blendshapes for the eyebrow curve on the left flipped for the right eyebrow curve. So I rebuild the mesh of the selected blendshapes and flip them to the other side.

However, it won't let me add a curve as a selection to be a target after making a blendshape for the adjacent wire. Does anyone know why this doesn't work and or how to fix it? Or at least get around it. Ideally, I would like to have multiple targets for one blendshape in order to keep things organized.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Kahylan
in reply to: Ithritable

Hi!

You should be able to add curve targets to a blendshape, given that they have the same amount of cv's, using the Deform->Blendshape->Add command. So there has to be another reason why Maya won't let you do it. Are you getting any Errors or Warnings in the commandline when doing trying to add the target?

You could also just delete the Blendshape on the right curve and create a new one with all the targets selected when creating it, that would eliminate the need to add the targets later. Or does creating the blendshape itself on the right curve also not work?

Message 3 of 3
Ithritable
in reply to: Kahylan

Sorry, for the delayed response, I was testing a few things out.
The thing is that it doesn't give me any error or warning messages because maya won't even give me the option to add curves as selected targets; it isn't selectable.

As for the right curve, I'm able to make blendshapes and targets out of itself. So making a new blendshape with all the targets selected definitely works and is a much easier alternative than what I was doing.

I figured I could instead make the blendshapes on the right curve by snapping the cv's to the points of the rebuilt target of the left curve that I flipped. It was working fine yesterday, but when I try moving the cv's in editing the blendshape itself, manipulating the transform values ,especially with translate x, it invert the pivot controls. Snapping the cv's to end up sending them into infinity as well. But come to find out that a TransformGeometry node was the cause of the problem. So I deleted non-deform history and its fine now.

But I think I'm mostly gonna stick to using your suggestion from here on.
Thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report