Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BlendShape is not working

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
3908 Views, 6 Replies

BlendShape is not working

Hi

I am trying to add a blend shape node to a set of selected meshes. I get the error "// Error: line 0: Target polySurfaceShape1 does not match with base hulkShape."

What does this mean? Why it won't allow me to add a blend shape node?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
stephenkmann
in reply to: Anonymous

If you are 100% sure that your target shape matches topology with your base shape. 

then it's probably that you aren't choosing the blendShape node in the edit Blend shape ui

Try choosing the blendNode in the UI

-=s

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: stephenkmann

How do I do that? 

I choose the 3 meshes that are differing somehow. Finally I choose the base mesh, the one with the BlendShape node attached to it and go to Deform-> Blend Shape -> Add. I choose the node and I get the error message I explain at my first thread.

How do I do otherwise?

Message 4 of 7
stephenkmann

Sounds like your model topology is different on one of you targets. 

try making a new blendShape with each target.   *( this is just temporary to find the bad target )

Sometimes I'll just duplicate my base for testing.. but really you can just do all this then Not save the file.  

You're doing this just to find out which model doesn't match, and why.

Whatever model is polySurfaceShape1 is the one that doesn't match. 

Are all your targets duplicates of the original base mesh? 

Did you do any topology changes to the targets?   

For blendShapes to work correctly (and easily) the topology should be exactly the same for the targets as the base mesh

hth

-=s

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Well,

Yes, al targets are copies from original base mesh.

PolySurfaceShape1 there is not such an element with that name. There is a mesh named "PolySurface1" which is referring to a small part of the character's hair. As far as I am concerned, I don't remember to have modified its hair since I want to blend them for eye movements.

I did topology changes. I modified the eye space, to be half and full shut (close/open). How, else to make them blend? Those topology changes need to be done. Otherwise, why to do blending?

Thanks

Message 6 of 7
stephenkmann

topology changes refers to changing vert, face, edges counts. .deleting edges, adding edges. split poly, smoothing, etc. Not the moving of the points around.( that's expected to happen)

PolySurfaceShape1 was mentioned in your error. but your response is curious. 

First off.    I would name all your geo. 

second. Do you have geo parented under other geo? 

It's generally not advised to parent geo under other geo.  ( especially when you are just learning and haven't figured out all the nuances of how this all works) 

If you blendShape groups.. which is okay to do, you want the order of objects in the groups to be identical. 

If they have different orders, then it won't try and blend the correct targets to the right base meshes. 

hth

--=s

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Yeap that was a very nice answer and fruitful advice to my question. I used to try blend groups instead of just meshes. The groups used to contain different sets of meshes (poly surfaces) in different order. That could be a factor not allowing me to add to blend shapes. Yes, all meshes were parented to different groups. That could also be an issue. I solved the issue however, by repeating the process manually. I used to function a MEL plugin in order to create automatically facial variations on meshes by flipping and mirroring vertices, having the original mesh as the base one. However, it turned that the plug in had various issues and didn't function properly. So, I repeated the whole procedure from scratch by duplicating the original mesh and manually modifying its facial vertices and just add them as targets. That did work eventually. The MEL plugin cause various problems.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report