Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mods to Ribbon revert at re-start

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
arkelec
664 Views, 14 Replies

Mods to Ribbon revert at re-start

Previously, I have added Grip Snap to the Main Panel & made the icon large.  This was the case for as long as I can remember.  

Ribbon Icon Issue 1.png

For some reason (in the last month or so), Grip Snap is reset to the Expanded Panel.

Was I imagining this, or is my Inventor broken?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
AlexFielder
in reply to: arkelec

If you made this change, forgot you had done it and Inventor crashed some time afterwards, it wouldn't have saved the change. Perhaps you can modify the ribbon again, close and reopen Inventor and see if it sticks this time?
Message 3 of 15
arkelec
in reply to: AlexFielder

No, that's the point AlexFielder.

Every time I start or re-start Inventor, Grip Snap is back in the Extended Panel.

I seem to recall I noticed this after enabling the Nesting Utility (which I have since disabled).

Message 4 of 15
AlexFielder

I realised that after I posted; Best bet is to look at whether there have been any patches/other add-ins installed (aside from the afore-mentioned Nesting Utility).

If there are you would need to open Inventor, disable the newly installed widget, edit the ribbon bar and then close and restart Inventor.

It'll be a tedious task, so it depends how annoying the disappearing button actually is.
Message 5 of 15
arkelec
in reply to: AlexFielder

OK, I used the Inventor re-set utility.

Started inventor, did not migrate settings from an earlier version.

Added Grip Smap to the Main Panel.

Restarted Inventor.

No Grip Snap back in Extended Panel.

WTF??  Can I have a response from Autodesk tech please.

AlexFielder, as for how annoying is it?  Very.  I use this command all the time.  But more importantly, if it's a feature, it ought to work.

Message 6 of 15
arkelec

I don't know if this is relevant, but the following is from a version of the  file "InventorCustomization.xml" (...AppData/Roaming...) which I'm fairly sure was when the Grip Snap was visible in the Main Panel:

<InvMovedItem SourcePanelID="id_PanelA_AssemblePosition" SourceTabID="id_TabAssemble">AppGripSnapCmd</InvMovedItem>
          <InvMovedItem SourcePanelID="id_PanelA_AssembleRelationships" SourceTabID="id_TabAssemble">AssembleCmd</InvMovedItem>

I tried pasting this into the current version of the file, then opened Inventor.  Grip Snap was not visible in the Main Panel & upon closing & inspecting the saved version of the which (it does this every time Inventor closes), the pated text was not present.

Message 7 of 15
YuhanZhang

Hi there,

As any addin may re-arrange the ribbon buttons, it is difficult to tell which addin may change the position of the button, I think you can try below two ways:

First way:

1. In the expanded panel right click the "Grip Snap" button and choose "Move to Main Panel".

2. Close and re-start Inventor, and check if the button is just remained in the main panel.

Second way:

1. Right click ribbon and choose "Customize User Commands...".

2. In the Ribbon tab, choose "Assemble Tab" for left dropdown list and choose "Assembly | Assemble" for right dropdown list , and locate the Grip Snap, and click the >>(Add) button to add it to right column. You can check Large & Text check boxes for it.

CustomizeGripsnap1.png

3. Click Apply and dismiss the Customize dialog, and you can move the User Commands panel next to Position if you like.

CustomizeGripsnap2.png

4. Re-start Inventor and check if the button is still there.

Please let me if this helps.

If this solves the problem please click ACCEPT SOLUTION so other people can find it easily.

Rocky Zhang
Inventor API PD
Manufacturing Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 15
arkelec
in reply to: YuhanZhang

Sorry, did you actually read my replies above?

I re-set the Inventor back to a clean install.

Why would it not work properly after that?

Message 9 of 15
YuhanZhang

It is not easy to tell the reason without any more info that we can look into, can you provide more info:

1. Can you capture a video to reproduce the problem?

2. Can you give us a snapshot of your Add-In Manager dialog to let us know which addins are there?

Please note even you re-install a clean Inventor, it does not mean it won't load any more addins than the built-in ones, you may have some extra addins left in the Inventor Bin folder or some where like C:\Users\[loginuser]\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\, or C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\, if the addin does a reset to ribbons then it will reset all the customized ribbons buttons. Please double check it there.

If this solves the problem please click ACCEPT SOLUTION so other people can find it easily.

Rocky Zhang
Inventor API PD
Manufacturing Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 15
arkelec

I'm not quite sure how I can capture the problem.  I would have thought it was fairly obvious:

1. I move Grip Snap to the main panel
  2. After closing & re-opening Inventor, Grip Snap is back in the Extended Panel

Is this clear?  I'm pretty sure the Ribbon is not being reset, at I have added User Commands which are always present.  Below are screen-grabs which illustrate further, plus the Add-In Manager you requested.

Grip Snap & User Commands.png

Grip Snap & User Commands Re-Start.png

Inventor Add-Ins.png

As for C:\Users\[loginuser]\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\ - folder is empty.

For C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\ - screen-grab below:

Autodesk Plugins 1.png

Message 11 of 15
YuhanZhang

I use also the Inventor 2019.1 build and can't reproduce the problem, and Grip Snap button is kept in main panel after re-start Inventor. So we want to know how to reproduce it. How about you unload all the addins, and also make sure unchecking the Load Automatically for all. Then re-start Inventor, move the Grip Snap to main panel, and close&re-start Inventor to see if the button is still in main panel? This can help to know if some addins may be the reason.

Rocky Zhang
Inventor API PD
Manufacturing Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 15
arkelec

OK, it seems that the Factory: Layout/Simulation addin is the culprit.  With this disabled, the ribbon mods are retained after re-start.  For reference, the same issue included the Component sub-menu as well as Position, but oddly, not Relationships.

Perhaps you could look into this, because should I wish to use this addin, I don't want it making changes to the ribbon settings.

Another thing that would be useful, is a list of all of the addins for the current version of Inventor, which gives some description as to what they do.

Thanks.

Message 13 of 15
YuhanZhang

I will forward this to Factory team to look into it.

Rocky Zhang
Inventor API PD
Manufacturing Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 14 of 15
arkelec

Great, thanks.

Message 15 of 15
JarFu

Hi, this problem (INVGEN-26063/ INVGEN-16012) has been solved by Factory 2019.1.1 and 2020. Could you please update your Factory add-in to double check if the issue gone? Many thanks!

Jar Fu
SW Engineer
Inventor QA
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report