Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fastest Way To Access Point/Vector Information to Get Center of Mass

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
530 Views, 5 Replies

Fastest Way To Access Point/Vector Information to Get Center of Mass

Hello,

As the title suggests, I am looking for speed-saving methods to access underlying geometric information of Points, Vectors, etc. Namely, I am looking to get the center of mass of an EdgeLoop. Two methods I have come up with to get this are 

edgeLoop.RangeBox.MinPoint.GetPointData(ref minPtData);
edgeLoop.RangeBox.MaxPoint.GetPointData(ref maxPtData);

then scaling by half and getting to the center, or the more obvious method of collecting the start/end point of each edge and getting the average.

The problem is that the Inventor API calls are incredibly slow, even just to access properties. The above two lines take ~200ms which means when I collect on the order of 100/1000 center points, this takes way too much time to be viable.

Does anyone have an idea or know how to do this more efficiently? I have locally made versions of Points and Vectors to ease with the math once they are there, but to actually get the information from a Part/Assembly is where I am struggling.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jjstr8
in reply to: Anonymous

I ran a quick test in VBA to grab RangeBox coords on all planar surfaces.

Sub EdgeLoopTest()

Dim app As Application
Set app = ThisApplication
Dim doc As Document
Set doc = app.ActiveDocument

Dim startTime As Date, endTime As Date
startTime = Now()
If doc.DocumentType = kPartDocumentObject Then
    Dim count As Integer
    Dim pDoc As PartDocument
Set pDoc = doc Dim cDef As ComponentDefinition Set cDef = pDoc.ComponentDefinition Dim srfBods As SurfaceBodies Set srfBods = cDef.SurfaceBodies Dim srfBod As SurfaceBody For Each srfBod In srfBods If srfBod.IsSolid Then Dim sFaces As Faces Set sFaces = srfBod.Faces Dim sFace As Face Dim eLoop As EdgeLoop For Each sFace In sFaces If sFace.SurfaceType = kPlaneSurface Then For Each eLoop In sFace.EdgeLoops 'Dim x1 As Integer, x2 As Integer, y1 As Integer 'Dim y2 As Integer, z1 As Integer, z2 As Integer Dim mn() As Double Dim mx() As Double eLoop.RangeBox.MinPoint.GetPointData mn eLoop.RangeBox.MaxPoint.GetPointData mx 'x1 = eLoop.RangeBox.MinPoint.x 'y1 = eLoop.RangeBox.MinPoint.y 'z1 = eLoop.RangeBox.MinPoint.z 'x2 = eLoop.RangeBox.MaxPoint.x 'y2 = eLoop.RangeBox.MaxPoint.y 'z2 = eLoop.RangeBox.MaxPoint.z count = count + 1 Next End If Next End If Next End If endTime = Now() End Sub

The part I tested had over 4800 faces and it ran in less than a second.  I tried it with both the GetPointData and directly getting the XYZ properties.  Same amount of time on both ways.  I haven't tried it in an addin in c#.  I'm not sure why it's so slow for you?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: jjstr8

Oh wow, that is very interesting...perhaps it is just this slow in the debugging environment? I will try this in a 'release' and report back here.

It's nice to know that it is capable of working so quickly, this would solve all my problems.

Thank you for taking the time to test this.

Message 4 of 6
jjstr8

I just re-ran the test in a c# addin in debug.  Same results, under a second for 4800+ faces.

private void EdgeLoopTest()
{
    Inventor.SurfaceBodies srfBodies = ((Inventor.PartDocument)Props.Document).ComponentDefinition.SurfaceBodies;
    int count = 0;
    DateTime start = DateTime.Now;
    foreach (SurfaceBody body in srfBodies)
    {
        if (body.IsSolid)
        {
            foreach (Face face in body.Faces)
            {
                if (face.SurfaceType == SurfaceTypeEnum.kPlaneSurface)
                {
                    foreach (EdgeLoop loop in face.EdgeLoops)
                    {
                        double[] minPt = new double[2];
                        double[] maxPt = new double[2];
                        loop.RangeBox.MinPoint.GetPointData(ref minPt);
                        loop.RangeBox.MaxPoint.GetPointData(ref maxPt);
                        ++count;
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }
    DateTime end = DateTime.Now;
}

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: jjstr8

Strange, I ran your exact code on my computer and it took 23 seconds, both in debug and release mode. The computer is far from slow for every other application, so this is very bizarre...

Message 6 of 6
jjstr8

I'm at a loss.  What was your final face count?  I guess you could try a stand-alone app and try it using Apprentice.  I don't think it would be a version issue, but I'm on Inventor Pro 2017.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report