Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configurable Hose End Tool in Inventor - How to Save As a New Assembly with User Parameters and Maintain Link to Base Components?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
harvey_craig2RCUH
83 Views, 1 Reply

Configurable Hose End Tool in Inventor - How to Save As a New Assembly with User Parameters and Maintain Link to Base Components?

I have created a tool in Inventor that generates a hose end with a variety of parameters that can be chosen in a form. The dimensions of the parts are controlled in iLogic rules at component level. The components are placed and constrained with iLogic rules at the assembly level. I have placed the assembly and components in the Vault as it's a tool for everyone to use. Before I start really building up the library I want to know how this will be saved on the user end. I would like the tool to:

• Be saved as a new assembly with users chosen parameters where if someone else does a save as it doesn't update everyone's assembly with the latest generation.
  • The assembly to still be linked to the base components so years down the line I can make an adjustment to a component where it does update all the drawings with the new version. 

Is this possible and how would I do this? I'm looking for instructions for how an end user would save this to meet my requirements.

I have included some sceenshot's to you can picture the project a little better:

Thank you!

Rules at assembly level, the form and the generation.Rules at assembly level, the form and the generation.Dimensions of the components controled at component level with an iLogic rule.Dimensions of the components controled at component level with an iLogic rule.

Tags (2)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Hi @harvey_craig2RCUH 

There is many ways to carry out a copy design and reuse and it will entirely depend on your process within the company. 

Vault copy design will allow you to copy the assembly and parts. If you want your parts read only then make them library parts. 

If you have ilogic rules then you will need to stabilize occurrence names to avoid issues when rules try to find old occurrences names stored in the code. 

Ilogic copy design is there for copying assemblies out side of vault and it will handle replacing references in ilogic rules. 

We would need to know more information as to the structure of your parts to offer more advice. 

Testing the combinations of copying and reuse is always a good way to see how your assembly will perform.

If this solved a problem, please click (accept) as solution.‌‌‌‌
Or if this helped you, please, click (like)‌‌
Regards
Alan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report