cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need ability to exclude features

Need ability to exclude features

When doing a stress analysis from inside Inventor, it would be nice if we had the ability to exclude small features that seem to be insignificant to the analysis.  Features such as fillets and/or holes, but there may be others.  We have this ability using the Inventor FEA, but not with NASTRAN In-CAD.  This ability would decrease the solve time for the analysis.

Here is a screen capture from Inventor FEA.  Be good to have this in NIC as well.

2019-06-05_0714.png

Thanks,

Kirk

2 Comments
gerrardhickson
Collaborator

Neat suggestion.

As a work around - and I do this for almost all of my FEA studies - I'd suggest creating a derived part. In this part, use the "Delete Face" feature to simplify your model, once done run the study on that.

I use this same method for doing analyses of most assemblies as well. I admit you loose some functionality (exclude part for example), but it behaves much more stable than solving the FEA in an Assembly file.

Cheers

imajar
Advisor

What if you could make these simplifications using standard modeling tools and features are added but are only activated when you are in the Nastran environment?  

If you like the idea, then upvote it here:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-nastran-ideas/add-simplification-and-modeling-feature-layer-...

(I would hope for a few additional features dedicated to FEA simplifications beyond the standard modeling tools)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report