cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Midsurface is missing features of the split face

Midsurface is missing features of the split face

Faces of a solid are often split so that loads and constraints can be applied to a portion of the face. If the solid is converted to a Midsurface in the In-CAD environment so that it can be modeled with shell elements, the splits do not appear on the midsurface. I would like the splits to be included in the midsurface.

In the example below, feature 1 is split on the top and bottom faces, feature 2 is on the bottom face only, and feature 3 is on the top face only. None of these three splits appear in the midsurface created by In-CAD (bottom half of the figure). The midsurface is just one face.

split face not transferred.png

4 Comments
martin_madaj
Advocate

Hi John,

you have to use the Offset Surfaces command with Automatic Face Chain option turned on to project the splits onto the midsurface. Unfortunately the Midsurfaces command itself can't do that, therefore I think this idea deserves a vote.

Best regards,
Martin.

mitch.muncy
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

pclementsADJA4
Participant

Has there been any resolution to this issue? Currently I have been trying to split surfaces to apply loads, however mid-surfaces are not applied to the split small faces

henrique.calil
Explorer

Any updates so far? It's been over 4 years since original post. Using offset surfaces is a cumbersome and time consuming workaround.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report