cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create multiple bolts at the same time

Create multiple bolts at the same time

It should be possible for the software to create multiple bolts at once by selecting just two surfaces. The advantage is for situations such as flanges where there are many bolts that need to be created. For example, think of two mating flanges that have 100 holes. The current dialog requires the bolts to be created one at a time, selecting 200 faces or edges in the process. Smiley Frustrated

In theory, the wizard can create all of the bolts using bearing surfaces or use the edge of the hole:

1. User selects the face (surface) for the side with the head of the bolt.
  2. User selects the face for the side with the nut.
  3. User enter other properties for the bolts (size, preload, etc).
  4. User click OK.
  5. The software should find all of the holes on the head side: coordinate of center, normal direction (axis of bolt), and optional surrounding "bearing surface". A hole with a bearing surface (1 and 2 in the attached image) has a circular edge centered on the edge of a hole. A hole without a bearing surface does not have a circular face (3 in the attached image, or no feature at all); therefore, the bolt head will be to the nodes around the edge of the hole.
  6. The software should find all of the holes on the nut side using the same logic. Only the coordinate of the center and the optional surrounding bearing surfaces are needed.
  7. Any combination of holes in which the center of the nut is within a reasonable tolerance (1/100 the length of the bolt?) of the axis of the bolt would create a bolt.
  8. Done! 100 bolts created at one time! Smiley Happy

4 Comments
mitch.muncy
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

just did 100 connections (screws, flange to flange). It took me roughly 1 hour.

It is not only necessary to delete the old surfaces when you duplicate, you also have to adjust the diameter each time, because the diameter automatically changes once you select the hole. So in total I had to do 6 clicks per bolt. So that makes 600 clicks.

Another problem is, if I want to change the preload of those 100 connectors, I will have to open each one of them and change the force/moment manually. As an example, regularly I would use 8.8 screws, in case that is not enough I might choose 12.9 screws which have a different preload, therefore 100 times changing the preload.

I would highly appreciate it, if you could pick up John's proposal. I will have to do many calculations like this in the future....

Kind regards

Santino

Bruce.Li
Alumni

Hi,

I also want a table for new or existing bolt connectors.

Allow users to turn on/off, assign subcase, change material,and preload as a group.

ken.friesen
Participant

In addition, the bolted connection should have an input for bearing surface (or washer) diameter and generate a split on the face at the location. Splits cannot be patterned in the part/model so in addition to placing all of the bolts, bearing surfaces also have to be created one at a time.

The current dialogue offers washer height. I'm not clear how this input affects the analysis.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report