Inventor Nastran Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’sInventor Nastran Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Nastran topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Separation contact but act like bond contact

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
yta10
1227 Views, 5 Replies

Separation contact but act like bond contact

Hello

I used separation contact between two mating surfaces. and they are connected though bolted connection.

but they act like a  bonded contact.

youngtakTEH6Q_1-1628726115531.png

youngtakTEH6Q_2-1628726240353.png

youngtakTEH6Q_0-1628726091434.png

Could anyone help me with this?

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
John_Holtz
in reply to: yta10

Hi @yta10 

I have a few questions:

1. What type of analysis are you performing? (Some analysis types cannot handle separation contact and convert it to bonded contact. But Linear Static and Nonlinear Static stress can handle separation contact.)
  2. How are you expecting the results to be different? Or what result indicates that separation contact is not working? All I see is that the 3 bolts are holding the flange together, and that is what I would expect to see when using either bonded or separation contact. The image does not show to me that separation contact is not working. (There may be a very small gap opening at the tip of the toe, but the displacement would be much smaller than at the top of the channel and would not be visible in the image you provided.)

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 6
yta10
in reply to: John_Holtz

Thank you for your reply.

1) It's linear static mode

2) Numbers mean Contact types and locations

All separations 

1- 3EA of bolt washer locations to the orange surface.

2-bottom gray surface without 3 washer locations to the orange surface.

3 and 4 - fillet surface to the orange surface. 

youngtakTEH6Q_0-1628795930290.png

youngtakTEH6Q_4-1628795620124.png

As you can see, depending on the contact areas.. I got all the different results. I expected all the results would be the same. Especially, when I applied contacts (1,2,3,4).. it acted like boned contact.

What contact location is the proper contact to simulated separation?

Message 4 of 6
John_Holtz

Hi @yta10 

Thanks for the images. I understand the problem now.

I do not know why it would behave like that. If you want me to look at it, please provide the Inventor files (the assembly and part files, .iam and .ipt, compressed and posted to the forum) for model "D".

Since you are performing a linear analysis which is based on infinitely small displacements, no nodes on the fillets (3 and 4) will contact the top of the orange piece. Therefore, separation contacts are not needed on the fillet. You only need to defined the separation contact between the flat face (or faces) of the gray part to the flat face (or faces) of the orange part.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

Message 5 of 6
yta10
in reply to: John_Holtz

Hello,

Thank you for you reply.

Please find attached for the contact problem.

And, I would like to ask you one more question. 

Test A : 1 Bolt

Test B : 3 Bolts

For Test A, I thought the bolt stress would be at least 1/3 of the TEST B.

But the stress on Test A is even less than Test B.

Would you please let me know why this happens?

Test A

youngtakTEH6Q_1-1629282364354.png

Test B

youngtakTEH6Q_2-1629282570896.png

Message 6 of 6
John_Holtz

Hi @yta10 

Contact

Thank you for the model. I am getting similar results when using version 2022. I have notified the developers.

My original suggestion of not including the rounds in the contact are one solution. Another solution is the following:

1. Change the analysis type to Nonlinear Static Stress.
  2. On the "Analysis > Edit > Options" tab, set "Large Displacements" to "Off".
  3. On the "Nonlinear Setup", set the "Number of increments" to 1.
  4. Run the analysis.

Items 2 and 3 make the analysis very similar to the linear static analysis, so the analysis runtime is similar. 

Bolts

In a properly designed and assembled bolted connection, 90% of the stress in the bolt is due to the bolt preload. The load added to the components increases the bolt stress by a small percentage. These are the results that I get using nonlinear static in version 2022:

• 1 bolt: bolt stress = 8177 psi.
  • 3 bolts: bolt stress =8336, 7712, and 8380 psi.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report