Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smarter Diameter Dimensions

Smarter Diameter Dimensions

Shouldn't Inventor know that this is a cylinder and should therefore have a diameter symbol? Let's have it pop in there on its own without me having to do an edit text operation on it and manually add it.

Capture.JPG

71 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I measure from a CenterLine and an OD edge, Inventor could draw automatically diameter. Like this:

OD.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know there's a right click option for that.  The latest version of Inventor does that sometimes, or at least it looks like implementation was attempted.  It seems rather spasmatic on my machine though.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Anonymous
Not applicable

sgwilliams wrote:

I tried it in the DocumentProject and realized you can't add it to a hot key when it is in this project. So make sure that you follow these steps to add it to your system.

1.When adding this macro create a new module in the "ApplicationProject (Default.ivb)" then select the macro and paste the script into it.

insert newmodule.PNG

2.Then select the Tools Tab>Customize, a Customize dialog window will appear select the Keyboard Tab>Catagories>Macros.
3.In the Keys Column select the empty field and enter your hot key that you want to use to run the macro and then hit apply.

customize hotkey.PNG

4.Your done, enjoy! 

I have followed your instruction and the code works. 

However it will only work if I open the customize menu and then close it. When I restart Inventor I have to do the same thing all over again.

Any suggestions sgwilliams
KarelC
Enthusiast

Few years ago I made a macro for add diameter symbol. One click for add, second click for remove. Someone interest - here?

activeradio
Contributor

I'd like to ad my support to this.  I often find it nice to dimension on a section view and the procedure to add linear diameters to sections is an extremely tedious process. The linear dimension needs a good clean-up, including:

• Be able to toggle dimension type to linear diameter and back again after the dim has been placed.  At present this can only be done after selection of the geometry and the centreline but before it is 'put down'.
  • Be able to default to 'full dimension line' rather than having to select it afterward every time.
  • Selecting two edges (whether in normal view or section) creates a diameter dimension.
  • Enable "Copy Properties" for linear diameter dimensions, presently you can copy properties and apply them to other dimensions, but it does not work on linear diameters.
Anonymous
Not applicable

In inventor, diameter symbol is not auto-generated, when we try to dimension a cylindrical feature.

We can solve this problem, if Inventor detects cylindrical features automatically and adds dia symbol to the dimension.Capture.JPG

Tags (1)
philip1009
Advisor

That is a slight overlook on Autodesks part, the symbol does auto-generate if it was a regular projected view, but a section view doesn't generate the symbol.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The symbol will auto-generate only when we pick the single cylindrical face, it won't auto generate while we pick the 2 cylindrical face in the part.

philip1009
Advisor

Have you tried clicking on the vertical line representing the cylinder instead of the 2 horizontal lines, I know that can make a difference.

HorizontalHorizontalVerticalVertical

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I know the difference but it will not possible in all the cases.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does Solidworks also gives the dia symbol on section views? I ask because the picture you have shown is not sectioned.

And I think as  @philip1009 says I think clicking the vertical line gives the diameter symbol in all cases I can think of. Even in section view we can use it but its a bit tricky. Make hidden lines visible in section view. Pick the vertical line and it will give you the diameter symbol along with the dimension and then switch off hidden lines. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, in Solidworks also gives the dia symbol on section views, we no need to visible the hidden line, like what we doing in Inventor.

sergio.missori
Advocate

From my experience of mechanical design it think it is natural for a designer to pick the silouette lines (horizontal) to place a dieameter dimension instead of picking the projection of the circular face. In the case of holes silouette lines are the only choiche.

I think that many Inventor users are not aware of this difference and are inserting the diameter symbol manually.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have voted. But Dia symbol will be auto generated , if we use Axis. dia.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have voted for this Query, Please try this method for getting the Dia symbol in inventor.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Greetings!!!

We could get diameter symbol automatically during manual dimensioning also, no need to type separate diameter symbol. Details are mentioned in the attachment.

I would like to share this info with you as it would be helpful to understand about available options in inventor.

Thanks & Regards

S.Prasath0.jpgFor section viewsFor section views2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice @Anonymous, @Anonymous & @Anonymous 

In some cases, it is a trouble to give each and every circular dimension as suggested above.

Using the following chain of commands, top line=> centerline => right click=> dimension type=>linear dimension

and again we have to click that dimension and right click=> options => full dimension line.

While doing this, a lot of time is lost, hence this idea suggested.

mkozij
Contributor

Regarding @philip1009, I was unaware that clicking the face line of a cylindrical feature would automatically add the diameter symbol, that is useful. Unfortunately, that usefulness is compromised when you show chamfers and fillets in you model (edge breaks).

to everyone, don't forget to set the automatic presence of the diameter symbol in Styles for diameter dimensions and hole dimensions.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Idea added to backlog for future consideration [27585]. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report