Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketch Hatching

Sketch Hatching

Maybe I am just missing something but why is it when in sketching in an Inventor drawing, I cannot pick multiple shapes when hatching? If I have created a sketch and there are many small random shapes to hatch with same design or color fill I can spend hours hatching each individually.

11 Comments
dominiek_vanwest
Advocate

If you make a Hatch in Sketch level with the 'Fill/Hatch Region' tool, you have either the option Hatch or Color Fill. When using Hatch, you can select the Hatch and change the Layer in the Annotate Tab. But if you use Color Fill, you can't choose another layer.

There is a small workaround and that is to make a normal hatch with a very small scale so the lines are so close together it looks like it's a Color Fill. However, this increases the file size, dependent on how big your Hatch is. Mostly, the idw's need to be saved to pdf to give to clients, so that also increases the file size of those.

My proposal is to be able to select the Hatch (Color Fill) and change the layer. If that's not possible, maybe make the option (to choose a layer) available at the creation of the Hatch (Color Fill)?

Tags (2)
Anonymous
Not applicable

And the ability to edit the hatch style / scale once its created.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US-135464]. Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Victory!!!

Finally accepted, thanks Dan! Smiley Happy

asiu
Advocate

The original request:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/drawings-hatch-enable-multipe-profile-selection/idi-p/5...

was ignored for years...

By the way, there is also a request to better organize the IdeaStation that is ignored for years. Maybe somebody else will have to propose it again... Smiley Happy

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2018.2. Multiple closed profiles can now be selected (via ctrl +, or window selection methods) when applying a Hatch Region. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

asiu
Advocate

Great news! Thank you for implementing it, it will save time.

Not sure why my original request from 2014, with a clear title and more votes was completely ignored...

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/drawings-hatch-enable-multipe-profile-selection/idi-p/...

jeanie.wayker
Alumni

See here for more info: What's New 2018.2

asiu
Advocate

@dan_szymanski

Thanks for not giving any credits to the original submission.

This proves how badly the Ideastation is organized. I actually suggested creating a more structured approach to the idea submission so duplicated are avoided. But who has time to listen...

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

@asiu,

My apologies.  We are not perfect, nor is the Ideas forum system.  You are correct & officially the true originator of the suggestion.  I initially misinterpreted your request as drawing view / section view related.  As you know, we only made the enhancement to view based sketches and not section view hatches.  I hope you can accept our apology.

asiu
Advocate

@dan_szymanski

No apologies needed, but is frustrating to wait for two years, get 53 votes be ignored...

Again, I know that people are supposed to search first for existing ideas, but they are not doing it... (you can look at today's ideas 🙂 )

Filtering the input into categories will help us, the ones posting ideas, and you, the software managers and software developers. Ideastation has a big impact in the way you shape the software, let's make it easier...

Thank you for your reply.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report