Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketch Driven Pattern with Projected Geometry (Specifically Projected Points)

Sketch Driven Pattern with Projected Geometry (Specifically Projected Points)

I would like to see a sketch-driven pattern able to be created from projected geometry.

Let's say I want to extrude hexagonal pockets for nuts and I already have the hole features in the part.

Currently, you have to create a sketch, place points at each hole center, and THEN you can use that sketch for a sketch-driven pattern. 

I would like to be able to create a sketch, project geometry (which includes the hole centerpoints) and use that sketch for a sketch-driven pattern. Please see screenshots below. 

Applied Points.PNG Currently, you have to apply a sketch point to every hole to get the pattern.

Projected Points.PNG I would like to be able to project the points to create the pattern. 

9 Comments
leowarren34
Mentor

Definitely I'm in for anything that means we dont dont have to repeat ourselves as that bores me.

jtylerbc
Mentor

This is already possible, you're just omitting a step.  Project the edges of the holes, then change the resulting points from "Points" to "Center Points". 

You don't have to place separate points in the sketch - just change the type of the points already created by the projected geometry.

Nickefth
Contributor

jtylerbc, 

Thanks for the reply. I just tested it, and you are correct. By highlighting all the points and changing them to center points, the pattern works. 

Thank you for the correction, I will remove this from the board. 

Best, 

Nickefth61

jtylerbc
Mentor

FYI, when I tested it to make sure before I posted here, I was able to do it without making it a separate sketch at all.  I used the same sketch where I drew the hex "nut pocket" profile, projecting all of the centers into that sketch instead of just the one where I was going to draw the hex.

That may already be what you were planning to do anyway, but if not, it might be a small improvement that tidies up the model a little.

Nickefth
Contributor

Agreed, that would be the cleanest way to do it. Thank you. 

It doesn't seem like I can mark this as "answered" or delete the post, so for now I am just going to put a disclaimer in the post stating that this idea was already implemented prior to the post. I'll ty deleting it later if I can.

Nickefth
Contributor

NOTE: This "idea" was already implemented in Inventor prior to the posting of the idea. No action needed. 

jtylerbc
Mentor

Yeah, you don't quite have the same functionality for that sort of thing on the Idea board as in the regular forum.  Someone from Autodesk will probably come through eventually and mark it as "Has a Current Solution", or whatever the current official wording for that is.

ChrisMitchell01
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

See discussion comments for solution

leowarren34
Mentor

Ahhh, cheers for the comments.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report