Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruler

Ruler

I have found myself spending hours drawing 'To-scale' rulers on many parts in the past. It can take hours as a small mistake can sometimes mean going back and starting again. It would be useful if Autodesk could implement a ruler command on the taskbar where you can change the scale CM's or MM's. Or even have an add-in, as I am unable to find one. Unless anyone else can show me one.

It would be good to have this in the next Inventor version, please support if you agree!

10 Comments
PaulMunford
Autodesk
That sounds interesting. What is the purpose of the rule?
rashpal
Advocate

@PaulMunford

Where I work we sometimes need a rule engraving into products, as they are precision parts which sometimes require the end user to use the rule- measuring in mm's mostly. So it is a physical necessity. If Autodesk could implement this it would help a great deal. Vote Up!

PaulMunford
Autodesk

That sounds cool.

Have you tried using an iFeature or sketch block for your Rule engraving?

Paul

Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

HI rashpal,

I think this if far too specific to just your workflow for Autodesk to spend resources on adding a specific "ruler" tool to Inventor.

However, there might be enhancements to the sketch and part creation tools that would benefit your ruler creation efforts, that would also benefit many other users.

Can you post some example files?

I suspect that as @PaulMunford suggests an iFeature or sketch block might be enough of a solution for your needs. An example file would likely confirm that.

rashpal
Advocate

@PaulMunford

@Curtis_Waguespack

Hi

I havent tried iFeature or sketch block yet, but that might be an idea. I guess there could be some enhancements to the sketch/part commands which would aid in making this. There is an example screenshot below. I'm having to create these manually - this was an easy one, but when it comes to mm's there are way more numbers and this can differ based on what the customer has specified.

ruler.jpg

DRoam
Mentor

I think the rule lines themselves could easily be done with a feature pattern. I definitely wouldn't draw all of those tics in a sketch. But a feature pattern would be very easy. And I think you could create that as an iFeature.

The numbers, I think, are going to be more tricky. I've had to do things like this before and I haven't found a great way to efficiently create a sequential set of numbers. It's easy enough, if you have a relatively small, pre-determined number, to manually place each number's text block in a Sketch and then use iLogic to re-number all of them. But if you have a huge number, or the number might vary and you want it to be automated/parametric... I'm not quite sure of an efficient way to do that. Especially since you can't even pattern Sketch text.

Very curious to know if Paul or Curtis know of a way? Maybe using iLogic?

Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

>> Very curious to know if Paul or Curtis know of a way? Maybe using iLogic?

If I had to do this more than 3X's I'd certainly stop and create some automation to do it. I don't have anything specific to offer, but I think it could be automated quite easily, and would recommend that rashpal create a post with details and examples on the Inventor Customization forum:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor-Customization/bd-p/120

PaulMunford
Autodesk

Sounds like a great automation project @rashpal 🙂

A quick cheat would be to make an iFeature that is 1000mm long, and then use suppression to eliminate the bits you don't need.

iLogic would be a more elegant solution, and would give you a more usable, extendable and lightweight solution.

Defiantly post in the automation forum, and then come back to this thread to leave a link to your post!

Paul

rashpal
Advocate

@PaulMunford

@Curtis_Waguespack

@DRoam

Thank you all for your help. No votes, but plenty of useful comments! I will implement some of these ideas.

I will post this in the automation forum soon too and let you know if any of this works...Which one is the automation forum btw? Is it the same as customization forum?

SharkDesign
Mentor

You can create sequential numbers in AutoCAD quickly using the express tools and then copy and paste that into Inventor. 

You obviously need AutoCAD for this to work and sometimes copy and pasting text from ACAD to Inventor can be problematic. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report