Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flat Pattern changes Oriantation

Flat Pattern changes Oriantation

Flat Pattern seems to change the orientation by Model change. If it is used in a drawing, an the Flatpattern orientation is not explicitly defined, the Drawing view will be rotated too. This can impact the readability of the drawing...

May be this is more a bug report, than an idea....

BR,

Daniel

5 Comments
DRoam
Mentor

I'm glad you posted this, I was dealing with the same thing yesterday. Once we set the flat pattern direction manually, it should keep that orientation regardless of how the geometry changes.

Personally, I think we should be able to define the flat pattern A-side AND orientation from the Folded Part, as part of the Feature Tree. That way there's no ambiguity, and we can clearly see if the definition becomes lost (sick) due to a change in geometry and fix it.

daniel.balogh
Advocate

I agree you on this 🙂

As soon as a direction is set manually, it keeps it. But in our (most) use-cases the user doesn't bother the direction, but it shall not change anymore in the background.

Hopefully this makes it through to implementation (hotfix...? - still not sure ,whether this is more a bug, then a feature Smiley Happy)

petestrycharske
Advisor

I like that idea @DRoam and was thinking the same thing right before I found this idea.  Here is a video with the potential solution:  

https://autode.sk/2wlErjI

Hope this helps and have a most blessed night!

Peace,
Pete

daniel.balogh
Advocate

Hi Pete,

Good point. Actually I believe, since users mostly doesn't care about A-Side (I feel this is more or less important in a case of a checker plate, or grounded sheet (hope Goggle Translasate didn't let me down on the terms 🙂 ), your idea should be an integrated function of creating the flatpattern. So: if nothing is defined, Inventor uses the internal logic to decide orientation (I think the longest edge becomes X, or so...) and STICKS to this until the Flatpattern will be deleted, or edited manually in the Flatpattern edit mode. Althoght the X-direction functionality, as you describe should be available in folded model too.

BR,

Daniel

you have the option to select an A-Side.

now we need an option to select a A-Edge or Base_Edge in the model! this way you can prevent that the longest edge will be the horizontal one...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report