Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partial Section View cutting through parts

Partial Section View cutting through parts

When a section view is cutting through a part, the line where the view is cutting should not be straight, but brocken like in a detail view, to show the part is not fully represented.

SectionView

31 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable
Anonymous
Not applicable
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2017. Partial section views now default to display a jagged edge, however can be configured to display the legacy smooth setting (ie "WRONG DISPLAY" per the image) if desired. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Hello Sam and all,

In Autodesk Inventor 2017 we enhanced partial section views to include a jagged edge display option.  The legacy smooth setting is still available, however we hope the new jagged option eliminates any confusion that previously existed for partial section views.  See here for more info:  http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2017/ENU/?guid=GUID-DE137B98-7ADC-426E-8271-1DB3485FEE5A

Please let me know if this update satisfies your initial request.  Thanks!  Dan

jeanie.wayker
Alumni

Test

See here for more info: What's New 2017 R2
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want to create a section view through the middle of an item (the entire length of the item) the current section view is fine.

However if you would like to show a section through the middle of an item but not the entire length of that item the current section view will not indicate the section is cutting part of the item off.

Please see my attached pictures to help understand this.

"1." Is the current section view style

"2." Is a possible improved section view style

"3." The way I created the improved section view. (I had to project the view on my drawing off the drawing and create a detail from this view)

• This solution to use the detail command wouldn't work if I want to show a section behind the items in the picture "2."

Solution: Add options to add a boundary box or a jagged line down the cut edges (like when you use the break command)

Below is this option shown when creating a detail view.

dialog box.JPG

DRoam
Mentor

@Anonymous, what version of Inventor are you using? Did you do a search before posting this? If you search for "Section View Cut", the third search result is this Idea: Partial Section View cutting through parts, which indicates that jagged cut lines were added to partial section views in Inventor 2017 R2.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apologies for resubmitting an idea already mentioned.

I have just checked the post you linked which solves my problem, so thanks!

I did perform a check before uploading this but didn't come across that post. I used "section" and "section command" as my search however I never found this post within the top 4-5 within that search.

It also appears the post you linked only has a couple of tags so it may be worth tagging it more (I added command)

Unfortunately my company currently uses 2014

DRoam
Mentor

No problem. It's always a good idea to try several different searches. For example, "Section View" brings up the idea I linked to as the fifth entry. "Partial section" brings it up as the first. "Section jagged" brings it up as the second. And "Section boundary" brings it up as the first. You just have to experiment with different words that someone posting before you might have used.

But technicalities aside, I'm glad the new functionality works for you. Smiley Happy I'm sorry you can't take advantage of it with your current Inventor version, though. That's an unfortunate reality of updates. I would encourage the powers-that-be at your company to look into getting on Subscription. For most companies it's well worth the money for the value you get (constantly updated and patched software, improved access to software, access to technical support, etc.)

grzegorz.podolewski
Contributor

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report