Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need ability to add Color/texture to machined surface

Need ability to add Color/texture to machined surface

I have NEVER understood why I cant add a color/texture to a machined surface in the machining environment.  Sure there are workarounds (derive the part out) but I just wnat to be able to click on a face that is machined and change to color or maybe even make it look like its been machined.

76 Comments
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can, based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk

karthur1
Mentor

I will have to vote for this, since they moved my idea to "Future Consideration".  Problem has been around WAY too long.  Hopefully they will eventually get this added in the next year or 20.

karthur1
Mentor

I will have to vote for this, since they moved my idea to "Future Consideration".  Problem has been around WAY too long.  Hopefully they will eventually get this added in the next year or 20.  There are numerous posts in the idea station about this same issue.

karthur1
Mentor

I will have to vote for this, since they moved my idea to "Future Consideration" Problem has been around WAY too long.  Hopefully they will eventually get this added in the next year or 20.  There are numerous posts in the idea station about this same issue.

leblanc2024
Advocate
Hello karthur1, Thanks! Hopefully they will listen. The weld environment has been neglected too long! ;-) Regards, Ivon
karthur1
Mentor

I will have to vote for this, since they moved my idea to "Future Consideration".  Problem has been around WAY too long.  Hopefully they will eventually get this added in the next year or 20.  There are numerous other posts on the idea station about this exact issue.

karthur1
Mentor

@dan_szymanski

How can this get moved from "Accepted" in April 2013, then moved to "Future Consideration" in Dec 2017?  There are NUMEROUS other posts on the idea station that are about the same issue.  Do I need to duplicate my submission and start the voting process all over again?  The issue is still there in Inventor. 

Thanks

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

@DRoam normally tags me on his duplicate reference comments...  Smiley Sad  Just having fun with you Derek.

@karthur1 - I will merge these together & merge the votes. This is why we suggest community members to search on an Idea before authoring new ones.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. -Dan

DRoam
Mentor

@dan_szymanski, FYI there's some duplicates of this idea out there...... Smiley Wink 

gcook
Enthusiast

Since Inventor excels, in our opinion, at the task of machine design, any ideas like this should be taken more seriously by Autodesk.  If we were to design a swoopy coffee maker, we would probably use SolidWorks.

But we design and build custom machinery, so we use Inventor, and I, frankly, give up on making suggestions because it takes years for them to be considered.  This should have been jumped on and implemented years ago.  It seems like an obvious core competency for Inventor to have.

But that's just our opinion.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel your frustration gcook. 

Autodesk felt the need to update the presentation/.ipn interface creating storyboards and snapshots, yet we still don't have a spell checker and we're limited in the way we can change the colors of the faces on parts.

Very frustrating indeed.

gcook
Enthusiast
We've been using Inventor for 20 years, and year after year I often question the merit of some of the new features that get rolled out with each release. I think there needs to be people that use Inventor for a living vetting these requests (I assume and hope there are a few).
As mentioned, this should be considered a core competency for a mechanical CAD package, and not be prioritized based on votes. They should be looking at the functionality in packages like CATIA or Pro-E, and trying to implement those ideas, especially if they want to expand their market share (and not just what gets the most votes on IdeaStation). Guys like me, and I'm sure I'm typical, don't have time to wade through all the ideas and vote on them).
Anonymous
Not applicable

I fought an uphill battle for a year at my new job to get them to switch to Inventor. They finally do, and now I can't change the face appearance on a machined part. I'm always in Autodesk's corner, but they've let me down with this one, especially if the issue was brought to their attention so many years ago.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gcook At this point, it seems ideas are only accepted if they can be put on a new release brochure or a list of features for marketing. Applying textures won't come up when deciding on a CAD package and it won't be a reason to switch away afterwards. From a business/triage perspective, there doesn't seem to be much of an incentive for Autodesk to fix this or any other similar quirk.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report