Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need ability to add Color/texture to machined surface

Need ability to add Color/texture to machined surface

I have NEVER understood why I cant add a color/texture to a machined surface in the machining environment.  Sure there are workarounds (derive the part out) but I just wnat to be able to click on a face that is machined and change to color or maybe even make it look like its been machined.

76 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Today we also had the topic that an assembly feature should be colored to better represent a problem.
Are there any solutions? The topic is not completely new!

Thomas A.

BrunoMeier7845
Contributor
hello,
as i know, this is still not possible also in inventor 2020.
gregory_nickol
Advocate

Lets say I use parts from a library such as the content center. I bring in a piece of bar stock, and machine a spotface on it. I want the bar painted blue, except for the area of the spotface. I would love to be able to show a view of this part to a customer. However, for the sole purpose of getting this tiny face to look correct, I have to spend 15 minutes to a half hour either deriving the part and recoloring faces, or creating custom parts (which is 100% against the workflow we use and way we want inventor to work with our Bill of Materials.)

Also found another duplicate here. @dan_szymanski 

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/face-of-the-part-partial-coloring-at-assembly/idi-p/86...

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Thank you @gregory_nickol 

After reviewing these, I am not going to merge them as I view one as a part request and the other an assembly request.  Thank you for bringing it to my attention. -Dan

kevinelliott89
Enthusiast

Currently, you can use Views in a part file to apply different appearances at the top level (the entire part). My work requires that I visually show parts as anodized along with faces that require chemical film (two different colors) as we make a machining drawing and a finish drawing. I would like to be able to use Views to show the "As Machined" part and the "As Finished" part. If the parts were only one color, it wouldn't be a problem, but since I need to apply appearances at the part level and at the face/feature level, I can't use Views to do this (you can see below that the chem film surface appearance stays in both Views). To do this properly, I have to create a new part file, derive the "As Machined" part and apply the appearances as needed. This should be a simple feature to add in as Inventor already uses design reps show visual differences of the part/assembly.

Untitled.png

DRoam
Mentor

Related idea: A real surface treatment/finish/coating (paint) tool. It would be great to be able to apply "Surface Treatments" we defined using that tool within weldments as well.

RajSchmidt
Advisor

I need to identify certain faces in an assembly that need to be machined. The easiest way would be if the user marks theses faces with a special colour. Then I can build some plugin that finds these faces based on the RGB value.

Unfortunately, I can’t do that. I can only colour complete parts.

I need an option to pick and colour selected faces in an assembly.

jingyi.liu
Alumni

Hi  Raj

here is a similar idea you can vote for, thanks.

Need ability to add Color/texture to machined surface - Autodesk Community

RajSchmidt
Advisor

Excellent! I just wonder why it hasn’t been implemented yet. The idea is from 2012 and has nearly 200 votes…

cadplm
Participant

We have this situation where we would like to show how an assembly should be painted. We would also like to have an assembly consisting of a part and the color as a ghost part so that the structure is intuitive in Vault. But since you can't paint assembly this has forced us to go with workarounds such as derive assemblies into parts as karthur1 describes. Please fix this Autodesk. 

martin.halacek
Enthusiast

Idea from 2012. Now we have almost 2022. I want to become Autodesk developer. Nothing to do and doing well, from yearly supply of money from subscription, because customers are dependent on Autodesk products, since it would cost them gazillion money to change to other SW. This is only thing that Autodesk (and other SW companies) are good at. Sucking money out of people’s pockets by this nasty business model that should be forbidden. And they even try to mask it as Software As A Service. I remember former Autodesk CEO Carl Bass talking about having ping-pong tables in offices to create “creative atmosphere”. Well, at least we know where our money goes – table tennis tournaments. Great.

karthur1
Mentor

Point well taken Martin.  There are MANY things that us users have been asking for (many for 10+ years) that would help improve things. 

Pete.Beauregard
Participant

I support this request. Would like to be able to make machined surfaces a different color.

Thank you.

Pete

Pete.Beauregard
Participant

I support this request.

Thank you.

Pete

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2024. Please review the Inventor 2024 What's New article here, for more information regarding how you may leverage new Finish Features. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

3DAli
Collaborator

@dan_szymanski  Thank you so much , YES now we have finish feature in 2024 and its awesome. 

Thanks to Adsk team, 

Cheers

Ali

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report