Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Windows per Session

Multiple Windows per Session

New Window button.jpg

It would be extremely useful if we could have multiple windows open for a single session. Right now it's nearly impossible to work with two documents side-by-side, especially on separate monitors.

The current "New" button on the View tab just creates a new instance of the active document, which can be viewed side-by-side within the main window. But this way of working with multiple windows is very cumbersome. Nothing behaves quite like it should. You constantly have to drag windows around to get them where they should be. It would be much simpler to actually have multiple full windows open.

-------------------------

Comments on the following functionality would be appreciated:

1. New windows can either open empty or open with the document that was active when "New Window" was clicked
  2. We should be able to drag tabs between the windows
  3. Every window in a session could share the same Browser bar and iLogic window, or potentially have its own
  4. There could be an application option where we can choose for pop-up windows (like the BOM) and dialog boxes (like the Extrusion feature editor) to open on the same monitor as the current window, or to open at the last location no matter which window it's invoked from. We could be able to choose this option separately for pop-up windows and dialog boxes.
  5. Only a single document can be active at a given time, just like how it is now with the tabs. This prevents an overload on the system trying to keep, for example, three assemblies and a couple of drawings up to date that are open in different windows. Just like now with tabs, we would have to click on a window and make it active in order for it to update.
  6. Any other multi-window functionality you'd like to see.

Thanks!

14 Comments
danmachen
Advocate

Completely agree! Most CAD users I imagine these days are working from at least a dual screen setup.

I am using Product Design Suit & Vault Workgroup and having one on each screen can be useful, but being able to drag sub windows onto each screen would be ideal.

The only way to do this at present is to open a second version of Inventor which causes more isues than it solves!!

Great post! 100% agree!

DRoam
Mentor

There is another idea requesting the same functionality (although the heading is a little ambiguous), and it has a lot more kudos behind it. Please consider giving it a Kudo to help draw Autodesk's attention to this much-needed functionality. It's located here: Dual Monitor Support for Inventor 2016

iUser
Advocate

Hi Guys,

I have created a new post with all the "dual monitor support" ideas and have contacted the employee that accepted this idea to get an estimate as to when we can see this idea implemented. Please vote for this link:

Multiple Windows per Session and dual monitor support Inventor 2017

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US-114272]. Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Guys.

Any update on this dual monitor issue?

I see dan.szymanski has accepted this idea.

Will probably come out with Inventor 2017 1st update?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Still no update for this idea?

Thats more than a year ago now..

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a must have when working with dual monitors.  Please implement this ASAP!!!

iUser
Advocate

@Anonymous Still no improved support for dual monitors.. Have been requesting this since Inventor 2013.. Still nothing in Inventor 2018..

Anonymous
Not applicable

@iUser I was part of a technical preview a few years back and mentioned this at the time... and I was told that it was something that had high interest and something that the technical team was working on.  Sad to see that nothing has come from that. 😞

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

We are refining procedures around idea status.  Changing this to Future Consideration.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great idea! It would make Designer's life much easier.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2020. It may not have been delivered to the exact specifications that were laid out above, however close enough for me to mark it as "implemented". 🙂 Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

DRoam
Mentor

The implementation is well above and beyond what I expected with regard to window management. Fantastic work!

I'd say the only big thing missing is a browser/ribbon on each window, but that's an advanced requirement and I'm happy to create a separate idea for it eventually (unless someone beats me to it).

Thank you!

tmuel
Advocate

Agreed. This is AWSOME!

Except, what about the support for multiple windows with multi-sheet drawings...please?!? I understand it's not possible to have multiple active sheets of the same open drawing file, but a read only view in a new window seems necessary.

I have users opening multiple instances of Inventor or publishing to PDF to view additional sheets while whey work on their drawing. 

Please also see this:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/multiple-sheet-thumbnail-panel/idc-p/6724558#M23244

Thank you for the continuing improvements!

Tim

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report