Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let Us Edit (One / Multiple / All) DVR's (DesignViewRepresentations) at the same time.

Let Us Edit (One / Multiple / All) DVR's (DesignViewRepresentations) at the same time.

Please give us more control over editing design views (DesignViewRepresentations / DesignViewRepresentation).

I would like to be able to either just edit one of them at a time (like now), or be able to edit multiple of them at one time (but not all of them), or be able to edit all of them at the same time.  There may be some restrictions / exceptions to this ability, such as if/when some of them may be Locked or something like that.

WCrihfield_0-1718988432056.pngWCrihfield_1-1718988488742.png

In Inventor 2024 we have a tool called 'Edit Member Scope' (on the Manage tab, Author panel),

WCrihfield_2-1718989077352.png

which can be used to help us control whether we are currently editing just the active 'member' or all 'members' (Member Scope vs Factory Scope).  This relates to iParts, iAssemblies, and ModelStates.  Having something like this for DVR's also would be a step in the right direction.  However, I would like to take it a step further, or use a different mechanism than that, which would allow for a third option, such as 'edit multiple' (not just the active one, or all).  There could simply be additional checkboxes next to all the DVR's that are currently being edited, or there could be some other types of modified icons next to the ones being edited (or not being edited).

Another thought that comes to mind is to incorporate a table (of sorts), where all the currently existing DVR's would be included in one table representation, with one row for each one, then there would be columns for each settings being controlled by them.  This could be another (less convenient, but at least something) way of editing them all in one place.  And since there are Excel worksheet options for editing iPart/iAssembly/ModelState tables, there could be one for this too, if its not too much trouble.  Just throwing that idea out there.

2 Comments
WCrihfield
Mentor

Just wanted to also point out two other similar Inventor Ideas posts here.

This similar idea (link below) got implemented all the way back in May, 2022, so I hope this one will not be too much more difficult to implement.

Lock/Unlock Multiple Design Views at the same time 

Then there is this very similar idea related to ModelStates, which I voted for, and I hope a lot of others vote for also.

Provide the ability to edit multiple Model States 

WCrihfield
Mentor

Just going to add one more important detail / distinction to this also, just to clarify about some of the details involved.

I know view reps record camera angle, zoom level, and any section view settings, as well as object visibility, colors/appearances/textures.

But when I use and work with view reps, I generally do not really care (that much) about the camera angles or zoom levels being captured / recorded.  I mainly just want the object visibility, and colors/appearances recorded.

I am not sure how many others use them this way, so I am guessing there would have to be some exceptions or optional settings involved to make this happen in a way that would 'please' the majority of Inventor users.

So, when starting to edit multiple view reps, I do not really want to change or edit the camera angles, zoom levels, or section view settings of all the view reps I will be editing.  I only want the object visibility, color/appearance/texture changes to be recorded during this time.  This would be perfectly logical.  So, if there is a way to make it happen that way...perhaps with some options/settings involved, that would be great.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report