Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor revision cloud

Inventor revision cloud

I'd like to see a native Inventor tool to draw a revision cloud on a drawing. I know about the DrawingTools add-in, but this tool often gets very slow (when you draw large clouds). I also would like the functionality to draw a rectangular shape (or any other shape) which will be converted to a cloud.

Basically the same revision cloud tool which is already in AutoCAD.

Regards, Daniël

194 Comments
kent_wold
Enthusiast
Keep getting people to vote this up the line.. votes move it up on the radar!
whamlin
Advocate

I have been told that this is the place to post! I was also told at an Autodesk event, that if the problem was small enough and posted here, that it might just get a DIN (do-it-now) rating as far as incorporation.

🙂

This topic is being hashed around in the regular forums.

Forum Posts 

"Go buy a brand new 3/4 ton truck. They come with a receiver hitch in place. It's not an add-on."

Inventor is a professional tool. A 3/4 ton truck is a professional tool. There is an expected level of serviceability.

The competition 

whamlin
Advocate
Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

@whamlin  the link you posted to above is the previous Inventor Idea board posting for this idea:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ inventor-ideas/inventor-revision-cloud/idc-p/9263999/highlight/true#M37775

I'm not sure I see the need to create a new duplicate idea for this? 

whamlin
Advocate

By Jove! You are correct.

I thought the original post was in the regular forums.

RStancescu
Collaborator

@cfairfowl 

You need to request it to IT; I work in this department and I install it on tenths machines as soon as we upgrade to a new release. 

kent_wold
Enthusiast

@RStancescu

Not all IT departments are that willing to install something that is NOT the base package.. I've worked with IT departments that would not have allowed the install of this add-on. 

That also is another point in needing this added to the program as part of the Annotation set of tools.

RStancescu
Collaborator

@kent_wold 

I'm on the same boat with you, totally agree. We both know if number of votes doesnt get close to 500, the revision cloud will stay in SDK forever. Next option is that someone with privileges to install it. 

Third option is to create a sketch symbol and attach it to a template. 

I've been talking to Autodesk for years and realized that they have a long list with things to work on it. Like the spelling check, it gathered hundreds of votes and now it's implemented. 

The number of votes here shows that not many people need it... it's the fact. I have almost a hundred users using Inventor at my company... not even a third of them voted but they come to me to request it installed. I explained them that they must vote, provided the link and guess what? they still dont vote...

Anonymous
Not applicable
make it a condition of their continued employment that they vote!

like, subscribe, and whack that bell if you want to
kent_wold
Enthusiast
Yeah I hear you.. I have even added the link for voting to a popular YouTube channel..thats the problem with the ‘Vote’ system.. it doesn’t take into account sensible add ons like this that will affect more people than realize they need it!
Anonymous
Not applicable

what if we got Donald Trump to tweet about it - American Industry needs revision clouds.   What if the US goes to war with IRAN, no cloud on the missile tip and lockheed builds a bunch of duds how is that going to look?   Oh right they use catia...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why on God's green earth has Autodesk ignored the continuous request to add a revision cloud to the native Inventor program. It has been available for decades in AutoCAD. It's tiresome to have to continue asking. 

Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

Hi @Anonymous ,

Welcome to the Inventor community.

My understanding is that many Inventor users who are in more standard "mechanical" design type fields have no use for a  Revision Cloud tool, as they use revision tags to denote revision changes, and Inventor's revision tag tools cover the needs quite well...

however there is a segment of users who are in more "construction" or "fabrication" type fields that do have a need for the revision cloud... and for those folks (and it sounds like you're one of them) the lack of a revision cloud tool is quite painful... 

So I don't know that the request has been ignored, as much as it has been weighted as not as important to most Inventor users as other development priorities... 

However, as a result of a collective effort of many Inventor users, the revision cloud issue is finally getting some attention... we find this "Idea" at nearly 300 votes at this point (yours being 296 ) and nearly half of those have arrived since October of 2019...

As a result the Inventor development team has become very aware of the need for this tool for the segment of the users that feel the pain of not having one, and I suspect we'll see some movement on this in the near future.

In the mean time, you might consider leaving some feedback here, concerning how you'd expect the cloud to tie into Inventor's current revision tools (the revision block & revision tags) ... that is unless you think just a simple "dumb" cloud like AutoCAD's is all that is needed.... even then, that feedback might be helpful to those that are in charge of getting the tool implemented.

Hope that helps, Curtis

cfairfowl
Enthusiast
The add in rev cloud in Inventor is inferior to the one in AutoCad, so I import the rev cloud from AutoCad into a sketch in Inventor. This gives me the accuracy and neatness offered by the AutoCad tool. This is a little long winded but once you get used to it it works brilliantly. So, if the new rev cloud feature in some far off new release - say Inventor 2050 has this “new rev cloud” tool I doubt I’ll use it anyway.
whamlin
Advocate

I'm busy, but this is important.

We've had some team discussions regarding how to handle Inventor revisions.

The Revcloud command works pretty well for us in AutoCAD. The Revcloud command options, if they could be mimic’d, would probably work well. An added bonus to mimicking AutoCAD would be Autodesk feel for users that work in a mixed environment, as we do.

I usually use custom arcs lengths and fit them around dimensions and objects. I place my revision marker touching an arc of the revision cloud to show they are for the current revision.

Our group also felt it would be good to have the revisions somewhat automatically be placed onto a layer that could be turned off. This would aid at times like going from pre-production to Release for Construction. The revisions could be saved, but not shown as possible clutter for Project Installers.Commandline-Example.JPGExamples.JPG

kent_wold
Enthusiast
I too am very busy and agree this is very important..
Will have to put some thought into the ‘smart’ possibilities for an Inventor Rev Cloud but an automatic layer would be brilliant! They really should be on their own layer actually for all the reasons stated above..
I agree with your discussions these are all excellent suggestions!
Anonymous
Not applicable

re: importing stuff into autocad to a sketch: sounds efficient, you must work all night for free

kent_wold
Enthusiast

Horribly inefficient which is the reason for this request gaining more and more traction...

Inventor itself has become a good and reasonably flexible software. This has led to an increase of use in areas it was not likely originally intended to be used, thus the request for Rev Clouds not used much in Fabrication or Manufacturing!

This is the cost of success for Autodesk!

cfairfowl
Enthusiast
Sounds good to me, I’m in the subsea oil and gas design and construction industry and revision clouds are a MUST have.

Thanks....
kent_wold
Enthusiast
Mining and structural as well as mechanical design..again a MUST have!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report