Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

full use of multicore processor

full use of multicore processor

full use of multicore processor......

86 Comments
brett.holmes
Enthusiast

Even with multicore support, Inventor 2019 is still basically incapable of handling any inserted Autocad sketch with any amount of detail. If you paste a bunch of relatively complex objects into an Inventor sketch and then try to move or rotate them, the program grids to a halt.

I entered this in while waiting for it to begin responding again after trying to rotate approximately 1000 autocad objects. It froze for about 15 minutes trying to process the operation, which I ended up cancelling, and never used more than one processor core the entire time.

2019 is quite fast compared to previous versions, but multicore support needs to be extended to more functions. 

dusan.naus.trz
Advisor

07-21-2015 08:59 AM 

Can Inventor work with multiple graphics cards? I think not. And will Inventor ever be able to work with multiple graphics cards?

Sorry It's something else. Please all if you like to vote. Thank you.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/new-bill-of-materials/idi-p/8358449

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/manager-view/idi-p/8360512

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/summary-print/idi-p/8357049

leowarren34
Mentor

CUDA is the next one but about time Autodesk.

leowarren34
Mentor

And Multi Socket CPU's

el_jefe_de_steak
Collaborator

I think it is high time that Inventor supports the use of multiple cores for complex modeling tasks, especially design accelerator components. Intel is now building 20+ core processors. Right now, the best way to maximize the speed of Inventor is to get processors with faster clock speeds instead of utilizing multiple cores.

I think that the next "big step" for 3D modeling performance is to work with multiple cores.

el_jefe_de_steak
Collaborator

Just a further comment on this... I know that from a programming standpoint, this is a very major deal. However, in reality, the computing world is moving towards more and more cores in processors. It is often much cheaper/easier to get 16 cores in a PC running at 2.4 GHz than it is to get almost any processor that runs at 3.5 GHz or higher. Intel has just released processors that run up to 5 GHz (impressively fast), but have now for several years been producing processors with 16-20 cores (2 of these gets you 40 physical cores and 80 virtual cores!). Processors have been moving and most likely will continue to move in the direction of more cores instead of higher clock speeds.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lot of people want to see full multiple cores support... I know that I use the graphic card, but not for modeling... 

DRoam
Mentor

Hi @Anonymous, did you do a search before posting this? It's the top Inventor idea and has been responded to by Autodesk. See Dan's comment here: Implemented: full use of multicore processor. Performance improvement is an active, ongoing area of development.

If there's a specific function or area in Inventor you'd like to have better performance, then you can create an idea for that, or comment on the original idea. Creating a duplicate of an existing idea isn't going to do anything to improve Inventor.

cburton72
Contributor

Just to further comment on this....Multiple processing for Intent (ETO) applications would be huge.  I could re-write the com object for this however I would not be guaranteed not to have to re-write it for future versions so native product support for future versions would be a requirement.

DRoam
Mentor

@el_jefe_de_steak, did you search for an existing idea before posting this?

el_jefe_de_steak
Collaborator

@DRoam

Yes, I did try to find other similar posts before posting and could not find any.

However, I have found several other posts since creating this post that have the same concept, but are titled and tagged differently enough that they did not show up in my searches.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/full-use-of-multicore-processor/idi-p/8496879

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/full-use-of-multicore-processor/idc-p/7892174

I discovered that this has been implemented for most 3D modeling operations. However, I am trying to push for full multi-core utilization across more complex modeling tasks such as frame generator and design accelerator components.

leowarren34
Mentor

@DRoam Atleast it's merged now, but we might be flogging a dead horse, the area for improvement is better optimisation of hardware resources...

peter.revai
Participant

Sometimes I need to create models with patterns... will these functions receive multi-core support in the future?
(Now I have a model with about 2000 little blocks. One click, half an hour waiting... I'm on an i5-8600.)

The sketch pattern is not faster. If I create one pattern, derive the part and create an other one, etc, it will not faster. I can't imagine how can this software handle 10k's of parts...

Thank you forward,
Péter

pattern.png

brotherkennyh
Advocate

I have to be honest, I struggle to understand why the software gets stuck in areas like this. Sure there are a lot of features, but its not like its complicated.

This needs some attention, quality of life improvements are often more important than new features.

sysh
Autodesk

Hi @peter.revai, may I know what Inventor version are you working with? We had some performance enhancements for feature pattern in the last several years. That performance problem might be already solved on the latest Inventor. Could you please share more details about workflows or dataset with us? Then we can take a look at it. 

peter.revai
Participant

Dear sysh,

I made it in inventor pro 2020. Now I have new license, so I installed the 2024 today: it's way faster. Thank you for the enlightment.

sysh
Autodesk

Thanks for your info @peter.revai. Glad to hear those performance improvements help on your case. 

marcelmacuf
Explorer

Hi Peter,

Now I have a model with about 2000 little blocks. One click, half an hour waiting... I'm on an i5-8600.

Could you please share ipt file ? (Or some example ...) Inventor is already doing some multicore stuff on paterns. Do you have installed latest version? What version of inventor are you using? have you tried to run multiple instances of inventor? So you can start patern in one instance and do another work in another instance.

rkeller
Enthusiast

Can you please let Inventor use more of the processors when updating a sketch that is Embossed on a plate?

It takes over 5 minutes to update a name plate with the information that is changed even if it is one letter.

ChrisMitchell01
Community Manager

Hi Rodney,

Could you please log a Problem Report in the Inventor Feedback Community for this particular case & we'll take a look - doesn't sound right...

Thanks

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report