Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Monitor Support for Inventor 2016

Hi Guys,

I have been looking in to this topic a lot and compared it to other CAD packages. A lot of people now days use dual monitors for Inventor, but it still isn't as efficient as it could be.

There are two ways of doing it on Inventor that I am aware of, the one would be stretching over both screens, which I hate because then your ribbon and tools are only on one screen and it takes a lot of time going back and forth just to use the commands. Besides that your browsing history is also only on one screen. Another reason is also when you have two different screens sizes it doesn't always work out so well.

The second would be opening Inventor twice and having one open on both screens, which I prefer, but this also doesn’t really work out so well, because if you are working (standalone version or vault), you can't work on the same project on both Inventors and save files. Another reason why this doesn’t work so well is that all of the pop-up windows, such as constraints, hole tool, measuring etc. keeps opening on the last screen that it was opened. You will know what I mean if you try it out. One of the biggest problems with this solution is that it kills your RAM even though your pc is top of the range.

If you take a look at the link below this is what I had in mind for the layout of the screen:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-general-discussion/dual-monitor-setup/m-p/5427161#M529867

I also think you would need some kind of setup screen inside Inventor (Either an add-on or part of Inventor General Settings), where you can choose which screen opens Assemblies, Parts and Drawings.

I really hope to see this in the new release this year and I am sure everyone using dual monitors feels the same way. Please vote for this Idea if you agree!!

65 Comments
iUser
Advocate

@Anonymous

I have been trying for ages.. Have reposted a few times.. Check the link below..

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/dual-monitor-support-for-inventor-2016/idi-p/5495785

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have differnent sized screen than stretching screen is very unuseful.

I use laptop with desktop screen (of differnet aspect ratio and size), so stretching to nearly full screen on one screen leads to partially filled other screen.

Autodesk should have Dual Screen Support. It is very useful for large designs and for proffesionals.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Autodesk should have not only Dual Screen Support. Please, add Multy screen support.

It is very useful not only for large designs and not only for proffesionals.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm also loogking forrward for dual monitor suport.
shawn.payne
Advocate

While modeling it would be nice to have better multiple monitor support. I would like to have my idw open on one monitor, the model on another, and maybe the BOM or content center on the other. Break the chains Autodesk!

DRoam
Mentor

Hi all. What the OP described is not so much "dual monitor support" as it is the ability to have multiple Inventor windows opened. Every software has "dual monitor support", i.e. the ability for the window to be dragged to whichever monitor your prefer. The problem is, Inventor only supports one window!

As such, what the OP asked for is perfectly valid! That is, for multiple Inventor windows which can be open at the same time, and can be viewed side-by-side on the same monitor OR on separate monitors, and can optionally share OR have their own browser tree and pop-up-window locations.

There's another IdeaStation post requesting specifically the ability to have multiple Inventor windows. It's located here: Multiple Windows per Session. Once you've given iUser's idea Kudos, please consdier going to this idea and giving it a Kudo as well. It would be nice if Autodesk would merge the two ideas and give them a heading that accurately describes what we're after. Maybe something along the lines of "Multiple Inventor windows for side-by-side viewing and working".

DavidTruyens
Advocate

Very True!

I would like to be able to snap a window of a part on one monitor and the assembly on the otherone. If you have so much space it's also a pity to have the grey part of the ribbon visible. It would be better to have it more floating, specially on a multi monitor. But then alway's visible (not like what I've done now, colapsing the browser and opening a tab:

ribbon.png

iUser
Advocate

@DRoam I think everyone that is intrested in this idea should just start creating a new idea (besides voting for this idea) with regards to this topic and link it to this idea and your Multiple Windows per Session until Autodesk merges all of the ideas. Maybe call it "We want Multiple Windows Inventor 2017" :-). I find it so stupid that the model history, BOM and other windows can be dragged to the second screen , but not the modeling and drawing environment that you actually want to move over. Think the problem is that there are so many ideas added to the idea station on a daily basis that it pushes our ideas down and the latest ideas get all the kudos. Would be great to get some feedback from Autodesk if they are working on this or not. Anyone know any of the developers?

iUser
Advocate

Hi All,

Every year I keep submitting this idea as so many of us could benefit from this idea. Can someone at Autodesk please give us an estimate as to when we could expect such an awesome addition to Inventor as its been three years since this idea has been accepted (on 05-14-2013 07:15 AM Support for Multiple Monitors [US16721] [US16734]). Below are links as to what the "Multiple Monitor" community wants from Inventor: 

Multiple Windows per Session

Dual Monitor Setup

Dual Display

Multiple screens

Multi Monitor Support

Please make Inventor work across two or 3 monitors 

iUser
Advocate

Hi Guys,

I have created a new post with all the "dual monitor support" ideas and have contacted the employee that accepted this idea to get an estimate as to when we can see this idea implemented. Please vote for this link:

Multiple Windows per Session and dual monitor support Inventor 2017

iUser
Advocate

Hi Guys,

I have created a new post with all the "dual monitor support" ideas and have contacted the employee that accepted this idea to get an estimate as to when we can see this idea implemented. Please vote for this link:

iUser
Advocate

Hi Guys,

DavidTruyens
Advocate
Done!

Good summary!

Sent from my mobile phone
swalton
Mentor

I do this frequently with PTC/Creo.  It's very useful.

DRoam
Mentor

Thanks for the consolidation, @iUser!

Just so everyone knows, currently the post with the most Kudos behind it is this one by iUser: Dual Monitor Support for Inventor 2016

Here are two of the best things you can do to help Autodesk determine which ideas are most important to Inventor users:

1. Give a single idea as many kudos as possible so it rises to the top

2. COMMENT and say WHY the idea is important to you!

So if multiple-window support is imporant to you, please visit the post linked to above (re-linked here), give it a Kudo, and comment as to why multiple-window support is important to you and how much it would improve your productivity. Thanks 🙂

DRoam
Mentor

Hey @iUser (and any others interested), I share your concern about the flood of ideas pushing truly good ideas down. It's my theory that what determines an Idea's destiny is not so much how many users would find it useful, but how many people happened to see it within the first few days of its creation.

So in response I created (ironically) an Idea asking for Autodesk to come up with something better--a system which ensures that ideas fall to the bottom of the pile because they're not valuable to many/most users, NOT because they didn't get noticed fast enough to make it into the Hot/Top Ideas feeds. You can take a look at the idea and give it a Kudo here: Come up with a better system for keeping good ideas from being lost in the pile. Thanks 🙂

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [523]. Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dual monitor support 2017

although 2017 Is a berry good releas.it stil dont support a good use of multiple monitors. The 4k monotors support has improved but there is still some work to do. See TFI Cad Tips off Neil Cross.

I see that the idea is accepted. The only thing i can sugest is that the devellopers of inventor at Autodesk have a good look at what t.he possibillities are in Microstation.

anny way it will give Inventor a Boost.

if they are intrested in a detailed layout plan please tell mee a will spend some time for it.

Francis

Anonymous
Not applicable

Inventor should be able to be used on two Screens.

As example on one Screen the .ipt and on the other Screen the .idw.

Tags (4)
DRoam
Mentor

This is a duplicate of a request that's been made several times.

Please see a couple of the originals and add your vote/comments there:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report