Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficulty when dragging parts in a flexible assembly, need better control.

Difficulty when dragging parts in a flexible assembly, need better control.

In this example there are two flexible assembly of the same instance. In the two pipe elbows below when dragged it is difficult to locate the exact rotation needed if you are looking to swing one elbow only. It would be great to have a selection on each elbow that you would not want to rotate or not.

1.png

In this example it shows only one piece rotating and it depends where you select it.

2.png

Most of the time when selected and dragged about both elbows will move and difficult to re-position.

3.png

When trying to use the flexible drag both elbow move and there is no clear direction to which you can manipulate it back.

Thank you,

Don

2 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Don, in the past, flexible assemblies have frustrated me to no end. In order to work around the short comings of flexible assemblies, I generally try and accomplish different configurations of the same assembly with Positional Representations. I never ever drag. For your case, I'd keep the same things that you have flexible, and then fully constrain them in place with Angle mates. Then I'd create however many different positional representations I need using the fully constrained angles.

I completely agree that flexible assemblies need some work.

Alex

ADSKDJW4
Alumni
Hello Alex,
I appreciate your support here on this thread. Myself and the customer ended up using workplanes on each elbow using the angle constraint to simulate the rotating of the top elbow only. Took us like 40 minutes to maneuver it into position. We just need better design control on something like this.
Thank you for your reply,
Don Warner
Inventor Product Support
GCSO-CSS Frontline Technical Support

Autodesk, Inc.
100 Commercial St
Manchester, NH. 03101
www.autodesk.com<>

[Description: Description: Email_Signature_Logobar]

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report