Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow visibility overrides to Associative views in Drawings

Allow visibility overrides to Associative views in Drawings

This happens all the time: I have a View Representation set up just how I want it, and I create a Drawing View which associatively uses that View Representation. Then I create a few dependents of that Drawing View (Projections, Section Views, Detail Views, etc.). At some point, I create a view where things would be much, much clearer if I could hide just ONE part in that particular view.

At this point I have two options:

1. Un-check the Associativity for that View, which means it will no longer stay synced to the rest of the Views, and it will also likely end up with a bunch of "junk" in it as I add things to my Assembly that I don't want to show up in this Drawing View. Or,
  2. Create a whole new View Rep in my Assembly JUST for this one Drawing View, and I have to be careful to maintain it and keep it synced with the other View Rep.

It would be much easier if I could just do this:

3. New option: When a Drawing View is "Associative" to a View Rep, we should be able to right-click a Part or Assembly in the Drawing View and click "Visibility (Override)" to apply a visibility override to just that one component, without having to lose Associativity to the Assembly View Rep.

With this new option, the Drawing View stays synced to the View Rep in every respect except for any manual overrides. And at any point I can right-click the Drawing View and say "Clear Visibility Overrides" to make the View completely Associative again.

This would make it much easier to have Drawing Views which have just a few specific differences from an Assembly View Rep.

3 Comments
thom-g
Advocate
This is a great idea, especially because this would not "dirty" the assembly file. But to avoid confusion, the drawing view icon in the browser should be replaced if a visibility is overwridden. Also, the associativity box should be checked by default...
ic198
Advocate

Great idea! Some of my assemblies have multiple view reps with very minor differences between them. Especially frustrating when this problem still exists

allow-locking-a-view-representation-and-keeping-associative

DRoam
Mentor

Here's another suggestion asking for essentially the same thing but in Assemblies as well: Apply Visibility/Color overrides ON TOP of View Reps, rather than unlinking them

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report