Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

control / customize Document Tabs Text

control / customize Document Tabs Text

I would like to be able to customize document tab text.

According to this solution by Phillippe Leefsma back in Inventor 2013 this option was not available. To my current researches with the current development stage of Inventor this is still not possible.

[BACKGROUND]

Modern PDM systems need more and more to be in the condition to govern the filename, in order to grant the filename uniqueness. In certain scenarios this information is not relevant to the designer, who would need to click each tab to find the document he wants to bring in foreground:

current statuscurrent statusCustomizing more precisely what is displayed on the document tab of each open document, as it is already happening with the DisplayName in the browser, would fill the current gap:

desired functionalitydesired functionality

7 Comments
MistakenEngineer
Enthusiast

Good idea.

Also, @Anonymous, one of the easiest ways to implement this is to simply link the DisplayName property to the text at the bottom because you can already change the display name. However, currently, it only affects what is said at the top of the application and not at the bottom where he is talking about.

petr_vonasek
Contributor

We are solving the same issue. Our customer uses PDM called Easy PLM. File names and Drawing numbers are two separate properties. For the user’s orientation would be useful if the PDM system was able to govern also the text in the file tabs (like in the model tree and file window).

@freesbee good idea using Vault or any other PDM/PLM system!

What PDM / PLM system are you referring to "Easy PLM".

Where does it come from, do you have a provider?

I am curious about the usability of it for us!

Regards,

freesbee
Collaborator

@petr_vonasek 

indeed: filenames and document numbers are OFTEN different properties

@bradeneuropeArthur 

I suspect your question is more for Petr, as I am confident with few different PDM systems (PSP, Meridian, GAIN Collaboration) but I have no idea of "Easy PLM".

petr_vonasek
Contributor

Hi Arthur. You can find the provider here: https://td-is.cz/ + product description here: https://td-is.cz/plm-sprava-dokumentace/

Easy PLM is well known especially in the Czech Republic, but it is used also abroad (South Corea, Germany, UK) in its localised versions. It has integrations for all major CAD systems and it is based on configurable workflow.

There is also an extension Easy Technology (=ERP, system for production planning), which can cooperate with Easy PLM and could be intergrated with some economic systems.

guido_overath
Enthusiast

Mh, at my company we are dealing with large assemblies 5000 to 80000 parts. No one need to know the document number or Drawing number except the number of some main assemblies. We use classification to search for a specific component, then the structure is shown in ERP/PLM and one can start at the right level.

Ok - in our environment we use running (sequence numbering) numbers. In case of a drawing is needed the same number for 3D component and the depending 2D drawing is given by the ERP/PLM

herzogh
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Idea added to our backlog for future consideration [INVGEN-74686]. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report