Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ChatGPT in-CAD (like Microsoft 365 "Copilot")

ChatGPT in-CAD (like Microsoft 365 "Copilot")

Autodesk could assume the lead in 3D design if our Out-Of-The-Box software had an AI extension/plugin inside the application itself, such as Microsoft Copilot intends on doing for MSOffice 365 suite.

The idea is to start small, granting access to the Inventor API for the extension to input commands translated from text descriptions the user types and GPT API encodes.

I would hate to see this only offered by a paid extension that is not tied to the Autodesk organization. One example is posted here on LinkedIn:

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:7051926287753330689/

Galaxybane_0-1681398424997.png

4 Comments
swalton
Mentor

I'd want the AI to run inside the company firewall, not on the cloud.  No reason to expose any IP to 3rd parties.  

See https://www.tomshardware.com/news/samsung-fab-workers-leak-confidential-data-to-chatgpt

Local data is one of the reasons my company wants to stay with Inventor and is not interested in a cloud CAD solution like Fusion.

@swalton : the GPT API is closed. That's the idea.

Another point is that GPT also recognizes images now and can read an image and best approximate its geometry using Inventor tools. This could be an easy way for generic libraries of components that might be commoditized, saving design time for concept work (or a low level of detail/development).

daz_pettus
Community Visitor

It would seem we're on the lip of the wave for using GPT technology to input commands into Inventor.

My company uses a 3D point scanner to collect as-built info for designing stainless steel fixtures and cladding after the basic structure has been created or for an existing refit.

If GPT could reduce the scanned data and input that into Inventor; and then create the working drawings for fabrication of the stainless steel components that would be revolutionary.

Does anyone know how close we are to this realisation?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report