Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bring back the Minimize Button ~ Inventor 2020

Bring back the Minimize Button ~ Inventor 2020

Hello,

I would like to see the minimize button return.  I do like the arrange button but there are times I like to minimize some of the screen so that when I arrange the windows only the active screens tile.

minimize-button.jpg

minimize-button2.jpg

Thanks,

Ivon

63 Comments
s.schmidt2
Participant

Hey Jason,

this button is actually very nice. I use it often.

But I need the arrange buttons befor I can use the toggle button.😉

Bert_Bimmel
Advocate
God, am I πssed! Here’s another pita that came along with this “more modern tab based UI”, that annoys me every single day: How am I supposed to quickly get to the leftmost document-tab, if there are plenty more documents open, than fit to the window-bottom? The simplest approach used to be fast klicking on the right-arrow without moving the mouse until the rightmost document comes into view, and further klicking has no effect any more. Now, this approach leads to the tiled arrangement, as after reaching the rightmost document, at the spot, where the arrow-button used to be, and my mousepointer still is, the button for the tiled arrangement appears underneath my mouse pointer, and I am klicking faster, than I can recognize, that I have reached the end. When doubleklicking some free area underneath the windows to get back to all tabs underneath, I am back where I came from: leftbound tabs, with rightmost documents out of screen. Why, why, why are software developers always so in love with their bloated ideas of changing things that have been approved long time, just for the sake of changing things, but they’re not capable of spotting the obvious simple enhancements? (ok, as for some reason, i cannot add images here any more - i could swear that it used to be possible and i already did so, but apparently someone has messed up something again - here comes a description of the image i wanted to paste here: a "go to left end" and "go to right end" button, just like excel does.) Or how about this, when there are too many documents open to fit into a single row: (imagine another screenshot here: multiple rows just like the Property-Handler in Windows Explorer at its top) And please, please, please, don’t keep on at telling me any workarounds using the new interface. Inventor is not a Web-Browser!!! What would you think, if you’re urged to replace your still perfectly fine car by a new one, and the manufacturer had come up with the idea, that joysticks are much cooler than steering wheels, because excavators use joysticks too?
jason_hetu
Autodesk

Hi Bert, 

I tested the workflow you went through and ran into your same issue. If you double click on a tab it will toggle between full screen and tiled view. I assume what you are looking for is the file list to get quicker access to all the files in that tab row. If you click on the hamburger menu to the right the file list will show there. 

Screenshot at Jan 08 11-03-27.png

If you don't have the Insert Photo option in the comment toolbar you could try a different browser. 

images.png

Bert_Bimmel
Advocate
Hi Jason
I am using the latest version of Chrome.
Internet Explorer - sorry, Edge - is no alternative as it is now a chrome-clone too. |-(
I have abandoned Firefox because they have completely messed up the UI (at least in the latest version for android. Haven't tried the latest windows version, but I really, really don't feel like doing so).
Can't wait until Google adapts the idea of moving the address bar to the bottom too, just to realize, they have to move it to top temporarily, because when activating it for typing, the virtual Keyboard slides in from below, occupying the touchscreen where the address bar now resides. How moronic was that??? And yes, I know, that I can configure it to appear on the top of the screen again, but I really, really don't feel like figuring out how to fix this!
You're claiming, you intended to change your UI to a more modern, tab based UI??? Har! har!, the FF-Team has already moved on, to an even more modern (and even less usable) UI!
Maybe you should adapt that too!
And about my original issue: No, what I am looking for is a quick access of the right end of my tabs underneath the Graphics windows. I begged to forbear any suggestions for workarounds. I am aware of them. I don't like them!
Cheers, Bert

Another example of restricting the user for no reason. You can't possibly say you had mapped all the User Experience (UX) cases otherwise you would have known about the workflows where minimize helps. I just see no reason to remove that previous functionality unless the new tile menu is that much better, and the APIs totally clash against each other.
jason_hetu
Autodesk

Hi Galazybane,

We have added minimize button to 2021.2 that released in November. You can see more in the release what's new below. https://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2021/ENU/?guid=GUID-861E8543-36B0-4BFF-A401-5E368CDD04AC

Thanks everyone for your continued feedback.

Any chance this could come under an update to 2020? It will take a year until we upgrade to 2022 and absorb this fix otherwise.

jason_hetu
Autodesk

We like to back-port functionality like this where we can. Sometimes we can, sometimes we can't. Some of changes are more difficult to implement than others for various reasons. I have checked with the team and, in this case we're not able to back-port to 2020.

jmorin5JPXJ
Participant
Jason,

I was looking for the functionality that Inventor 2019 had, where you can have multiple files open, but can minimize all but 2, then arrange those two to view them side by side. The minimize button went away in Inventor 2020. It's back in 2021, but doesn't really minimize the document like it did in '19. In '19 when you minimized an open file, the display window it was in went away, and if you hit the hamburger again and arranged all, it would only arrange the files you did NOT minimize. This allowed you to use all available screen area to see the 2 files you wanted to compare.

In 2021 the minimize button takes a tiled window with a file in it and makes that window a grey box with nothing visible. The window doesn't go away, and if you hit the hamburger to arrange, it will arrange the empty grey boxes along with everything else that's open. To restore that window so you can see the file that was displayed in it, you click on the greyed out text of the filename and the file reappears. The function of making empty grey boxes is really of no use at all...

[cid:image001.png@01D6EFCB.0A2B2E90]

[cid:image002.png@01D6EFCB.0A2B2E90]

jmorin5JPXJ
Participant
Jason,

I haven't written code in a very long time, but I do understand that as the software evolves, you can't always go back. I think there is frustration in the user community when a feature that is considered useful is removed, and even more frustrating when it can't come back. I'm not sure how AutoDesk decides to remove a feature, or how they stay up on what features are useful to the end user. I think this one feature is a GUI mainstay, so people just expect it as a basic feature.

Thanks again.

-Joe

Thanks Jazon,
As Joe point above, I would also like to add that most active users in Autodesk Ideastation and Forums (not to mention in Beta of course) are ADVANCED users. VERY advanced users, compared to the 90% of the users who still learned how to design in 2D (many non-digitally) and have a hard time when simple functionality is removed.
I myself do not care too much about this one in particular, but if you think that AutoCAD is the main product from Autodesk for so many years due to the consistency of the product (I still have some users in my team that I have to set up with the "classic" profile in AutoCAD), it makes sense to assume Autodesk users require way more backwards compatibility than, say, ProEng or CATIA users.
This is an actual advice I really hope more in Autodesk can read. I wish you guys to succeed, and small issues like this to stop being the reason why many other designers hate Inventor and will never go back to it.

jason_hetu
Autodesk

Hi Joe,

Here is a quick demo video showing the minimize functionality in 2021.2

You should be able to arrange the documents and ignore the hidden ones.

jason_hetu
Autodesk

So a quick note on the empty space issue. We kept the 2019 behavior of manually needing to arrange in order to reduce performance issues that would come from an automatic redraw of all your models. We are now looking at the possibility of a setting that could allow this to happen if a user chose to. Any thoughts on weather this would be beneficial with the current 2021.2 behavior shown above. 

leblanc2024
Advocate

Hello @jason_hetu,

This would be a nice to have option. Giving the user the option of the redraw is a great idea.

Regards,

Ivon

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jason_hetu 

After watching Jason's demo video  and about 30min on the 2021 Beta, this looks like a perfect solution to what we were all asking for. Thanks for your dedication to resolving this seemingly small issue. 

As for the blank spaces - I can't think of a situation where it would be helpful to leave them there. Automatically maximizing the available space seems like a better route if performance issues can be resolved. Fewer clicks in the long run. 

I also like that you left the ability to click and drag the tabs in the bottom pane to group/ungroup. Can't remember if this was possible in '19.

Definitely wouldn't consider myself an advanced user, just a resourceful one :-). 

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2022. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

s.schmidt2
Participant

Thanks so far.

For anyone whos still missing the Arrange buttons on first layer:

You can put it onto toolbar

Unbenannt.PNG

ToddPig
Collaborator

I'm still confused.  When an idea is listed as "implemented", what does that mean?  Which version of Inventor was this implemented in?  

THE LACK OF THE MINIMIZE BUTTON MAKES AN ALREADY INEFFICIENT PROGRM MORE INEFFICIENT.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Hello @ToddPig, please see the post I made on April 8, 2021. The change was made (AKA idea implemented) within Autodesk Inventor 2022. Thanks.

Rodica.Mangau
Participant

Hi. Just bring the minimize button back!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report