Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add Machining Environment to Parts

Add Machining Environment to Parts

It would be great to have a machining environment for parts, instead of only for assemblies. That way, you could add the secondary process of machining a single part without having to insert that part into an assembly.

Machined features in sheet metal parts should not be included in the flat pattern. Our company often flame cuts steel plate and then machines holes in them, which requires manually removing features from the flat pattern before loading into the CNC plasma/laser machines.

7 Comments
janelson33
Advocate

Would Fusion360 work better for your company, or do you need the more detailed aspects of Inventor?

swalton
Mentor

Current workflow is to use derived parts or iparts.  Both have limitations.  As I understand it, Autodesk sees the need for improvements in this area.

You might want to register for the Autodesk Beta program for Inventor.  

el_jefe_de_steak
Collaborator

@janelson33  yes, we need the additional BOM capabilities and parts libraries included in Inventor. We have a lot of custom VBA scripts we use to assist in our design and fabrication processes.

@swalton thanks. At this point, I can't afford to use the Beta program because there are others in our organization that need the ability to open/modify the projects I work on, and this is a feature we would like to use across the board.

janelson33
Advocate

@el_jefe_de_steak depending on your software vendor and options paid for, CAM should be a tab in Inventor Professional 2020, in the part environment.

CAM_TAB.JPG

In the case of our software vendor, they are changing the contents of our package around each year sometimes, so this year we also got HSMWorks Ultimate 2020 which is a standalone CAM for high-speed machining from what I can tell.

We unfortunately don't mill our own parts, but I am planning to pitch this new CAM in CAD style to our machine shop as they're still programming by hand partly, and haven't updated Inventor since 2014. I've been watching a lot of videos on it, Autodesk seems to be leading in this aspect of software, but I haven't used a flagship version of Solidworks since 2018. I know Creo has it as well. Fusion is for sure going to be where a lot of content starts getting released though.

el_jefe_de_steak
Collaborator

@janelson33 

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, our organization does not subscribe to the package that includes the CAM add-in. I will look into it, though and see if it's an option for us.

What I'm really getting at, though, is for a built-in solution to suppress these features from flat patterns if desired.

janelson33
Advocate

@el_jefe_de_steak I gotcha, I forgot about this nuisance since I haven't been doing sheet metal as much. The current method of suppressing the feature, then praying that the suppressed feature won't crash the flat pattern is annoying, time-consuming and sometimes impossible no doubt. 

+inifinty votes to make the same Folded Part Tree underneath the Flat Pattern Part Tree

swalton
Mentor

@el_jefe_de_steak 

Sorry, I did not notice your reply about the beta program a few months ago.  I am not aware of a good solution to your issue today. 

In the future, only Autodesk knows.

My intent was that you consider joining the program so you could see and comment on the work Autodesk is doing that might address your idea.  I would not expect that any of the beta software is suitable for production work, so no need to get your co-workers involved.  Of course, there should be no expectation that any of the work Autodesk shares to the beta program will make it to any released version of Inventor.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report