Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add CTRL behavior to Horizontal and Vertical sketch constraint.

Add CTRL behavior to Horizontal and Vertical sketch constraint.

If you choose a horizontal constraint and you realize that you need a vertical constraint, then you need to select the vertical constraint.
Despite the fact that we are now in 2015 get a preview to see what is horizontal or vertical.
Add a CTRL action, so that horizontal changes to vertical as soon as you press the CTRL.
Ditto for vertical to horizontal constraint.

85 Comments
DRoam
Mentor

@tmueller6RR3D, that's somewhat helpful...

... But wouldn't it be better if your Sketch coordinate system was simply defined in such a way that "horizontal" and "vertical" made intuitive sense with the rest of the model?

Why should I turn my virtual head (i.e. camera) 90 degrees just so "fake horizontal" looks horizontal, and "fake vertical" looks vertical? I'd rather just define horizontal and vertical rationally...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DRoam@tmueller6RR3D after submitting my post and doing more research, I had come to the same conclusions as you have. Enabling the sketch LCS triad and enabling "align with local coordinate system" helps make sense of what's going on.

Thanks

asiu
Advocate

@Anonymous

It will make sense to be able to give kudos to members providing positive feedback in the IdeaStation. It is just a small payback for their efforts.

DRoam
Mentor

@Anonymous, great, glad you've been able to gain some understanding. If you would consider voting here to get Inventor working more properly in the first place, that would be very appreciated Smiley Happy

@asiu, agreed! And we're not the only ones that think that. Please vote for this idea in the Community Ideas forum for that ability: Kudos for IdeaStation comments. It's been around for a while but it really needs more votes to get put on Autodesk's priority list.

asiu
Advocate

@DRoam

Voted the kudos idea. Kudos later! Smiley Happy

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're going to up-vote this thread, please up-vote the master thread.

Thanks.

sebastien.forman
Advocate

Hello

I find it difficult to know in advance which constraint to choose between vertical and horizontal. 

Often I am wrong and take the wrong one. 

The preview of the constraint is a very nice improvement. Thank you for that, i think you could add a switch feature. 

For example when I click on "Shift", the horizontal selected button is deactivated, and the vertical button is activated and vice versa.

At the same time, the preview changes as well. 

This improvement can save a small second, and reduce our fatigue at the end of the day. 

Thank you for your attention

anibMXZ7A
Contributor
Agreed!
basnederveen
Advocate

Title sais it all really, I always seem to be getting the wrong button. 

An option making it base what is vertical or horizontal on screen orientation would be nice. 

The_Test
Advocate

Hope to see this implemented in the next release.

chrisreynolds
Enthusiast

Could a horizontal constraint be made horizontal as per the view on the screen, not as per the axis or plane used?

Also, can the dimensioning method be kept the same when constraint visibility is on instead of it selecting the nearest constraint to dimension from.

jingyi.liu
Alumni

Hi

Thanks for your feedback, please refer to below ideas, it's a similar idea on solving the confusion of Horizontal/Vertical constraints, the idea  have been accepted.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/add-ctrl-behavior-to-horizontal-and-vertical-sketch-co...

chrisreynolds
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, never new that before, I'm sure there is hundreds of other hidden gems too.

PaulMunford
Autodesk

Fusion only has one Vertical/Horizontal constraint command. It picks whichever axis your line is closest too (I have no idea what happens if your line is at 45 degrees!).

It seems to work pretty well...

sebastien.forman
Advocate

Hi Paul,

Yes why not, that could be a good solution.

edit: First mode automatique détection, en 2 fine mode with "tab button" for choosing between horizontal or vertical can be really nice

sebastien.forman
Advocate

Hi,

Here is my code for resolve the problem.

This code switch between constraint horizontal to vertical (and vis versa) when execute.

3dconnection.png

Public Sub SwitchConstraintVAndH()
Dim com As CommandCategory
Dim bDefO As ButtonDefinitionObject
Dim bDefH As ButtonDefinitionObject
Dim bDefV As ButtonDefinitionObject
Dim i As Integer
i = 1
Dim j As Integer
j = 1
For i = 1 To ThisApplication.CommandManager.CommandCategories.Count
    If Not bDefV Is Nothing And Not bDefH Is Nothing Then Exit For

Set com = ThisApplication.CommandManager.CommandCategories.Item(i)
    For j = 1 To com.Count
        If TypeOf com.Item(j) Is ButtonDefinitionObject Then
            Set bDefO = com.Item(j)
            If bDefO.InternalName = "SketchHorizontalConstraintCmd" Then
                Set bDefH = bDefO
'                Debug.Print bDefO.DisplayName
'                Debug.Print "i = "; i; " j = "; j
                If Not bDefV Is Nothing Then
                    Exit For
                End If
            End If
            If bDefO.InternalName = "SketchVerticalConstraintCmd" Then
                Set bDefV = bDefO
'                Debug.Print bDefO.DisplayName
'                Debug.Print "i = "; i; " j = "; j
                If Not bDefH Is Nothing Then
                    Exit For
                End If
            End If

End If
    Next
Next
If bDefV.Pressed Then
    Call bDefH.Execute
ElseIf bDefH.Pressed Then
    Call bDefV.Execute
End If
End
End Sub

Have i nice day.

dusan.naus.trz
Advisor

Thumbs up

dusan.naus.trz
Advisor

Hello everyone,
it is probably not exactly according to the task,but you can use it. What do you think?

https://apps.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/en/Detail/Index?id=6329824688400449761&appLang=en&os=Win64

Cadmanto
Mentor

Don't try to make sense of this.  Just look at the pic and let it sink in!!!

constraints.jpg

jtylerbc
Mentor

@Cadmanto, If I'm so used to seeing that sort of thing that it doesn't even seem all that odd anymore, is that good or bad?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report