Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wrong loop when extruding

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
366 Views, 5 Replies

wrong loop when extruding

Hi,

I've stumbled upon this problem many times in my life, and I usually fix it by deleting stuff and drawing it again. but now I decided to ask of anyone knows how to solve this issue, or prevent it.

I've drawn some (thin) rectangles, perpendicular to eachother. and suddenly, when I try to extrude, it finds some random loop and not my intended loop (rectangle). In the attached pictures is part of the drawing, and I highlighted the loop that the extrusion tool finds by using the loops buttons, how did this loop get into existance? And how to prevent/get rid of it without redrawing this part?

part of sketchpart of sketchspontaneous loopspontaneous loop

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Thomas_Savage
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous

You need to fully constrained your sketch.

You have 3 Dimensions to Dimension.

Plus you could have lines that are not constrained to lines. This is why it will pick up random areas.

Could you attach your .ipt please?

Thomas. 

Thomas Savage

Design Engineer

Message 3 of 6
JDMather

Can you attach the *.ipt file here that exhibits this behavior?

Are you using only Rectangles (no Lines)?

Sometimes adding Sketch Points will "fix" this problem.

Sometimes Split will "fix" this problem.

Often a more simple sketch and then Pattern Feature is a  better solution.

And perhaps Frame Generator with custom profile(s) would be a better solution.

Another option is Extrude single line as Surface and then Thicken.  (or even use Sheet Metal even though the part is not sheet metal)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Thomas_Savage

I've just started fiddling around with this part, and stopped as soon as I ran into the issue, so that's why many lines are not constrained yet.

I've attached the .ipt file. it's a rough sketch/part of the walls of a building, to get an idea of the interior.

I've only used two- and three points rectangles in this sketch...

Message 5 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! I think I know what you are talking about. It is the ability to recognize profiles within a sketch. Inventor 2D Sketch profile recognition is constraint-based. It means in order to a given sets of lines constituting a profile, they must have constraint relationship. Here are a few tips which can help make the behavior more predictable or understandable. Avoid having duplicate lines or curves (on top of each other). When there is an intersection between a line (curve) and another line (curve), you need to add a coincident constraint. If there is no geometry to create such relationship, make sure you add a sketch point.

In your example, I have seen quite a few small lines on top of longer lines. If I were you, I would delete those small lines and then add appropriate coincident constraints instead.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks for all the quick replies!

The line splitting seems to work well as a quick-n-dirty fix.

The notion of inventor being constraint based gives some insight into the possible cause, when I draw a new rectangle, I first click a line (coincident constraint) and then set the width, and constrain it to the other end. This 4 corner/2 constraint construction seems to throw inventor off when searching for loops.

Preventing double lines (even in quick sketches) will surely help preventing this, good tip :), I'll stop using rectangles for this type of drafts 🙂

Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report